Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Williamsburg, Virginia

When Michael was gone for nearly two weeks to Arizona for a wire-bending course, I took my parents up on their invitation to let me tag along with them on their trip up to Virginia for Spring Break. They did some family history work--discovering that we are direct descendants of Pocahontas and John Rolfe (can't you see the family resemblance?)--in Richmond and outlying areas, and we also did a little sight-seeing.

Williamsburg proper, where the College of William and Mary is located, is a very charming college town with lots of beautiful old architecture and fun shops. Did you know that the College of William and Mary was founded in 1693? Pretty cool.

Some of the shops sold beautiful historic colonial clothing, as well as lots of other period items. Isn't the little girl's dress sweet?

A delightful candy store there where they make some candy from scratch--the caramel apples looked amazing--and sell other old-fashioned candies.

Michael saw the pic above and he said, "Is that all the chocolate you ate?" In my dreams . . .

(SIDE NOTE: I could kick myself for not getting a Cadbury egg while I was there. I went to the store in the hopes of getting one after the holidays and they were all gone. Curses! Now my Easter celebrations feel hopelessly incomplete.)

On the grounds of the Governor's Mansion of historic Williamsburg. We went there to hear George Washington speak.

This woman is a weaver. All the yarn is hand-dyed. I also visited the milliner (dress-maker, hat-maker), a cooper (bucket-maker), a silversmith, a wig-maker (did you know the women who had wigs shaved their heads as well?!), the apothecary, the basketmaker, and the wheelwright. These are real people doing real trades--they even do work for other museums, like the one at Mount Vernon. Okay, I take that back--I don't think the apothecary was for real. At least I hope it wasn't.

The "greenhouses" in the colonial garden.

Gorgeous weather!

The entire town is preserved or restored in a wonderful way, and the pastures interspersed throughout provide a charming effect.

It's a lovely place.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are direct descendants of Pocahontas! Our family history says that one of our relatives was her age and it is speculated they were friends! And now we're friends hundreds of years later! Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look exactly like Pocahontas! Actually, you look more like the American Girls doll, Felicity. And the picture of the Colonial children's clothing is what reminded me.

    It looks amazing and I bet the Spring is the best time of year to visit. My family took a trip there when I was about 12 and it was a lot of fun. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip! Looks beautiful! :) Glad that you had a good time spending time with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow this Easter I missed out on the Cadbury eggs as well! I can't believe I was that spaced out to not pick some up. It probably happened because I try to avoid those sections of those stores whenever I'm at the store with my kids--which is always.

    Loved the pictures! Hope you had a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to visit Williamsburg. I love seeing the spring tulips. That is cool you are a descendant of Pochahontas. That is amazing that the people do actual work from that time period.

    ReplyDelete