A few weeks ago, Michael and I purchased a couple of flats of flowers for our front beds--zinnias and petunias. A few days ago, I noticed that the petunias were getting eaten alive. Literally.
After intense research (read: Google), I determined that the heartless criminals were either earwigs and/or slugs. I went to Lowe's with the expectation of purchasing some sort of fancy pesticide or trap, but when I learned of the possibility for pet fatalities (our neighbors have a roaming dog and cats), I decided to opt for the more homeopathic and only slightly less sophisticated method: beer in a cup.
Considering the fact that I have never drunk alcohol, not to mention purchased it, I felt somewhat uncomfortable as a good ole' Mormon girl with the idea of going to Kroger and buying some.
So we did what any good teetotalers would do: we asked a nice neighbor. (Didn't you know all teetotalers have good relationships with their neighbors?) Fortunately, he happened to have a couple of cans of Guinness on hand, and he didn't mind sharing the love.
This morning, when I went out to--gulp--check the cups, I found about 10 slugs. I also killed three more that I found with salt. I thought about taking a shot of the dead slugs, but then I realized that there might be pregnant women reading this blog, and I'd hate to be the one to induce any unnecessary vomiting.
'Cuz it was really gross.
Fortunately, it did work, so hopefully those two cans of beer will keep us in the slug-killing business for awhile.
In the meanwhile, we can enjoy our back porch:
you guys are awesome. Jess and I decided that we need to start our landscaping...you're an inspiration! ( I LOVE YOUR HANGING FLOWERS!)
ReplyDeleteSo informative! Slugs give me the heebie jeebies (sp?). Ever since I saw my mother perform the salt trick when I was a little girl.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the flowers on the back porch. They're beautiful!
Sorry I missed your call. I need to give you a call back. I'd love to talk to you and catch up.
very educational and insightful. now i'll know what to do if that happens to me. wish my yard looked half as beautiful as yours does. ...seriously
ReplyDeleteWhen I do my own gardening, I will be asking you all the questions!
ReplyDeleteYour flowers are beautiful! I cracked up when I saw popsicle tug-o-war picture
ReplyDeleteI would've been nervous too to buy the beer. I think it's just so ingrained after 28 years of WOW lessons! I'm glad it's good for something though. And if you have any extra beer, you should bathe in it-- I hear it makes your skin and hair really soft and shiny. (Although, it sounds disgusting to me.)
ReplyDeleteLove the flowers! Should a future dentist be promoting such habits? :) Totally joking, of course. :) Clara is a total doll. I can't get over how angelic she always looks.
ReplyDelete