Monday, September 2, 2013

Clouds and sunshine

Recently I was thinking about Clara and how her challenges can feel like a dark cloud that's always hanging overhead. It never goes away and it overshadows us as a family and as individuals. Sometimes the cloud seems just like a wispy cirrus whose presence is undisturbing and unremarkable; other times it feels like a pale gray stratus cloud that blankets the sky. And still other times it feels dark and foreboding.

But clouds can also be quite beautiful. The striking presence of dark storm clouds is powerful and captivating. Clouds bring much-needed rain for flowers, trees, and food to grow. Without clouds, the scorching sun would leave us hot and withered. Clouds bring contrast and break up the expanse of blue. They provide enjoyment as we imagine what each cloud's shape can be. Without clouds there would be no rain and therefore no rainbows.


We think of clouds as a negative, but clouds are a gift. And one day, those dark clouds will eventually be blown away, leaving behind a beautiful clear sky that is all the more rich and meaningful in contrast to the clouds that were ever-present before.

Through all the dark clouds of our individual trials, we have hope through our Savior Jesus Christ and His gospel. He truly is "the light which shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehendeth it not." (John 1:5) And He has told us, "Search diligently, pray always, and be believing; and all things shall work together for your good, if ye walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith ye have covenanted one with another." (D&C 90:24)

So even though the clouds might be over us now, we can celebrate the shade and not fear the rain. We can be grateful for the challenges and not resent the very things that bring us the life that we need. And maybe we'll learn to sing along with Gene Kelly:
I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feeling
I'm happy again.
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above.
The suns in my heart
And I'm ready for love.
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain I've a smile on my face.
I'm singing, just singing in the rain.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog and admire your ability to keep an eternal perspective with everything! Your thoughts bring new meaning to the Primary song that says "I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain" :) While reading what you wrote today I was reminded of an essay one of my friends shared with me when we were talking about experiences that are a "change of plans". She has a child with cystic fibrosis and one of the nurses shared it with her when her son was diagnosed. Anyway, you may already be familiar with this essay, but thought I'd share it in case you hadn't read it. It's called, "Welcome to Holland" http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that rainbow picture - it is just amazing to have caught it with Clara in it as well. Did she like the rainbow?

    You are such a trooper - Clara was sent to your home because of the strength that you and Michael have to guide her and prepare her for her mission in this life. She is so blessed, and I hope you feel blessed as well with all that you need...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing Brittany! I admire you so much.

    ReplyDelete