Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Advantage #1 of being a parent of a child with Aspergers

So I was going to write a post on the good things and the hard things about having a child on the autism spectrum. Frankly, the list of hard things is pretty darn long and kind of depressing, so I thought I'd write some posts about good things instead.

Advantage #1: You always have a good story to tell.

Last night, Michael took Clara to the school's literacy night to kick off the Book Fair, etc. He comes home and tells me this story. As part of the student presentation, another third grader does a magic trick called "The Unpoppable Balloon." For any who know Clara or who know a child with sensory processing issues, balloons = trouble. Whenever she sees one, she almost immediately plugs her ears because she's afraid it will pop. So while the student is doing his magic trick, the whole gymnasium is quiet except for Clara who has her hands over her ears and is talking loudly as she's nervous about it popping. At a crucial moment in the trick, the balloon accidentally pops.

Clara yells out, "Well, THAT didn't work!"

Kids around laugh and Michael can't help laughing, too. And I laugh every time I imagine the scenario, even though I am also thinking (1) I hope the poor kid or his parents (whom we are friend with) didn't hear her, (2) what are all those other kids thinking of her, and (3) when is Clara going to learn how her words affect others?

Without the benefits of time and experience to teach her how to create a filter, the thought and the resulting impulsive action have a pretty much uninhibited pathway. I'm hopeful and confident that with time, that filter will improve.

But in the mean time, the story reservoir keeps growing.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud!!! Clara says the things we all are thinking. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed, too! And you are good to think of the positives - a good story to tell:-)... xo

    ReplyDelete