School has closed for the rest of the year, businesses have closed (Michael is currently closed through April, possibly longer)--even Disney World--and major sporting events have been cancelled. It is pretty surreal. At first, when I heard about it happening in China, it felt so removed. It still feels pretty removed, even though we've had a few cases here in the Valley. I am trying to embrace the new normal, and I feel relatively at peace, a blessing which I I recognize is a great blessing. I do still feel some anxiety, especially for my brother, Clay, who is an ER physician, for Henry with his asthma, and for my dear friend, Kate, who had Guillain-Barre Syndrome and which can be re-triggered by a virus. I have decided I really shouldn't listen to the radio or read the news because it stresses me out a lot.
Another stress is filtering through all the news and the variety of opinions about the best way to get rid of the virus, which will not be going away even if we do "flatten the curve." Most people are saying, "Don't go anywhere! At all! You are a bad citizen if you do!" I am trying to be very careful, but we have gone to a couple of parks and I really want to get bikes right now because the boys have finally earned theirs (but should I risk going to the bike store? Do I have to buy everything on Amazon?). What about home improvement projects--can I not go to Lowe's first thing in the morning? What about playgrounds and hiking? Camping? Are we going to shut down the economy permanently? When this undoubtedly flares up again in the fall or winter, are we going to cancel school again? When will this end? This seems pretty unsustainable. I am hopeful that the time that all of this social distancing/economic shutdown is supposed to provide is sufficient for hospitals and manufacturers to provide needed PPE equipment to hospitals so that when it flares up again and until a vaccine is approved, the hospitals will be able to handle it. I am tremendously grateful for an eternal perspective which the gospel of Jesus Christ brings. Death is not the end; this life is a test, and we can make it through with His help. I know things will probably be harder in the future, which I am trying not to worry about. However, I do have faith that the Savior will help us through it all, no matter what happens.
We now have "home school," which frankly is probably laughable compared to what real homeschoolers do (how on earth their mothers do it I don't know with varying ages of kids), but we have started the following routine:
1. Morning routine (beds made, room clean, breakfast, etc.)
2. Seminary (online Zoom meeting) for Clara at 9am
3. "School" for boys--pledge of allegiance, recite a poem, read from the Friend, do some age-based math activity, craft
Monday: baking
Tuesday: science
Wednesday: music
Thursday: social studies
Friday: PE
4. Active time
5. Lunch and stories
6. Quiet time
7. Afternoon learning (a few pages in their workbooks/writing and 15 min of educational apps on the tablet)
8. Free play until dinner prep
The chart I took a lot of time to make but often forget to use. (The bell is just a little hand bell I use for Primary occasionally, but it helps make things "official" :-).)
Poem of the week. Both the boys have already memorized this, which is awesome.
It's been very tough trying to figure out how much technology to use. I am now inundated with tons of ideas and resources to use but am having difficulty muddling through and deciding what I really want to use. I appreciate the options, but now I feel ironic pressure to be doing all of those good ideas as well. I still really prefer to just have my kids playing and creating without screens. However, the closing of the library (seriously the worst news of this whole thing) might cause us to try online books, something which I've not been interested in. It is a difficult balance, especially when I realize that Robbie does quite a bit on a screen at school already. Questions like, "Do I let them watch a show and do educational time on the tablet? Do I relax my no-TV during the week rule and let it go and let them watch a movie every afternoon? But what about the importance of allowing kids to be bored? But this is also a weird time, and they also fight less when they are watching something, but . . ." and the list of questions goes on. For now, no shows during the week, but that might change as the weeks pass. We'll see.
Overall, the kids have adjusted well. Clara has been the saddest about missing friends, teachers, and I think especially the consistency that school brings. It's been difficult to help her get schoolwork done on her Chromebook with its ever-present temptation of YouTube (an issue she has had at school as well; pretty sure it's compulsive). I am not sure how we are going to finish this semester; in a couple of days they're going to be sending out assignments for the kids to work on from home. She enjoys seminary online each day, and it's a wonderful way for her to begin her day. Her least favorite part of the day is probably active time, which I ask her to do before fun screen time.
The biggest challenges I face currently are (1) missing other adult friends (that I see through lunch dates, playdates, etc.), (2) finding time to plan for "school" each day and figuring out how to differentiate the boys' needs and abilities, (3) managing sibling quarreling and competition, and (4) managing all the resources and technology, especially for Clara. Also trying to find time to get anything done with Benjy, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the issues of staying at home (except I could get a babysitter but now I can't).
It is difficult for me not to be able to see other adults. I really appreciate playdates, talking with neighbors Kate and Grace, and getting out and about a little bit each day. I am, however, deeply grateful for the nicer spring weather and that this pandemic didn't start here in January. (Unfortunately it will undoubtedly still be here next January, though...) Figuring out a good schedule has been challenging, but I think we're getting it. I know I don't need to teach the kids any academics--they would survive just fine without it--but I feel the need to create a predictable routine, something that everyone in my family enjoys.
A reoccurring thought I have is a reminder that I only have that one day to worry about. I can plan for the future but I only need to focus on this day, today, and that tomorrow will work out. I am thankful that Heavenly Father saw fit to design the heavens and the earth so that its rotation divides our lives into day and night, just one small capsule of time to worry about at a time.
It has also been eye-opening to see the Lord's hand in preparing us for this time--for the advances in technology, for the adjustments made at church so that we can do "home church," etc. I recognize that many parents cannot stay home with their kids who are home from school, and I feel grateful again that I can do that.
Here are a few glimpses into some things we've done at home.
Playing a game with "Tiny Polka Dot," a fun math card collection. It is easy to differentiate for the boys, which is nice.
Dominoes and number recognition.
Henry practicing writing numbers, Robbie creating subtraction facts to match numbers.
Math with money, "buying" toys.
Walking water, learning about capillary action.
End result--pretty cool!
"Bubble gum jar" math.
Basically Benjy just eats a very long snack during math/table time. He really enjoyed these dot markers. He wants to be doing everything the boys are doing and gets into everything, all day long. He has already succeeded in breaking a dinner plate and one of my grandmother's chairs (which we can repair, but still) while I am trying to teach home school.
Making Cheerio treats on baking day. (Last baking day was a flop and the kids were sent outside because they were being disobedient and not listening.)
Play-dough smash for subtraction.
Building and then painting (and then exploding) a salt-dough volcano.
Painting paper and himself.
Using snap cubes for math.
Robbie has learned some hand-clapping games with me (like Miss Mary Mack, etc.), and he and Henry have made bracelets with the Rainbow Loom (with my help). They have also taken to destroying their cool creations later in fits of anger, which really annoys me (and is no doubt why they do it). I am also having Robbie write pen pal letters to his friends to practice his writing and stay connected a little.
I am deeply grateful for Michael's support and help during this time. Work is still busy for him although he isn't really seeing patients (minus a smattering of online "virtual exams" that he has been doing with Zoom, which have been enjoyable). Now he has time to catch up on all the non-patient projects he has, like setting up a 3-D printer and getting to all the things he's had to put off for months. He has also been enjoying doing ward council via Zoom and is trying to call/text all the members of the ward, which has been a good experience as well. I continue to try to minister to my sisters and wish we could do more to help others. We brought food into the elders, but the homeless shelter is cancelled, etc.
I have lots of projects I hope can be done (like landscaping in the backyard, etc.), but we'll have to just take things as they come and see how it goes. I am thankful for warmer weather and for a backyard that the kids can play in--that is a great blessing that I know many families in quarantine don't get to enjoy. We fasted along with millions of others this past Sunday, praying for healthcare workers, scientists, government officials, and Church leaders to be guided to know what to do and for things to improve.
Repeat after me: I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.
The adventure continues!















This is a wonderful post! I think that it is important to write down the good and the bad. You are doing such amazing things with the kids though to keep them busy. They are going to be such great math wiz-es. You are all in my prayers..
ReplyDeleteWow, that looks incredible! Home school has definitely been an adjustment. Our school district put together a schedule and workbooks, and the teachers have been good at doing video conferences and sending videos and ideas. A lot of the learning is screen based which has pluses and minuses. I am finding if I focus on what I can do, give them some autonomy, and stay near to monitor the inevitable distractions it all works out. Perfectly? No. But I am also grateful this happened at the end of the school year instead of the beginning. I have similar concerns about the future but have also felt to focus on one day at a time, to help if I can, and to trust that Heavenly Father will take care of the rest. Hang in there!
ReplyDelete