Saturday, August 25, 2012

A six-week update

The last six weeks feel a bit of a blur. Overall, we are doing very well. I feel I have more of a handle on things this time around than I did at this point with Clara. Nursing is getting better, and miraculously I have avoided getting mastitis again, for which I am enormously grateful.

Robbie is a very good baby--sleeps a lot, is cute even when he cries, and his diapers aren't too smelly. He is a very loud pooper though--we call him Squirt. On Sunday he squirted during church and people around me snickered and smiled. Good times. He is holding his head up better and we are being rewarded with more frequent smiles, which, as you know, make all the other sacrifices worth it.


Clara is doing very well with him--she loves him and loves to touch him and take his binky out, and then put it back in. She gives him lots of kisses and even let him lie on her. For the record, where did the word "binky" come from?

Getting back into an ever-evolving routine is interesting. I have a profound admiration for mothers with multiple children at home. Amazing what you ladies do. Getting Clara on the bus in the morning is even more challenging now with the distraction of Robbie, but that's all right. "One day at a time" is my mantra. 


 Clara lost her other front tooth and speaks with a lisp at times. She also started second grade. Wow.

Hyrum is back from a visit to Atlanta after his parents came, and he is a big senior now with his braces off (Michael took them off while his family was here). He looks even more handsome and is thrilled to be nearly done with high school.

It is fun to be able to say "kids" and "children"--using the plural form is very gratifying. I have had my hormonal ups and downs and will probably continue to do so, but all in all I am feeling so thankful for two beautiful children and for the challenging honor it is to be their mother.

We celebrated our ten-year anniversary this week--it was very low-key, which is okay with us. Someday we will go on a cool vacation. For now, however, I am amazed that love can just keep growing and growing and growing. I am so thankful for Michael and how wonderful he is to me and our kids (ha, I got to say it again!).







4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! I didn't realize your 10 year anniversary was this week! How fantastic. We were married a couple days apart from each other. :) I know what you mean about taking a cool vacation someday! Someday when we're not nursing and no little babies (which I thought we'd be at that point by now but Toby isn't). Glad to hear that Robbie is doing so well. And Clara and you. Yes, getting everyone ready and out the door for the bus in the mornings is sure hard, especially when Nate and Toby wake up early. But you're so good with your routines, I bet you all will do well with it.
    Haha, I'm glad you do so well with keeping up with your blog! :) since I don't always get to talk to you each week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very frustrated! I just sent you a long comment and then couldn't figure out the codes below! Grr!

    I just wanted to say that you are an amazingly organized woman - Just ask yourself when things don't quite go right, "Will this really matter in a year, or a week, or even a day?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an example to mother's everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Binky" was a brand name of pacificers in the 1930s! I guess the brand isn't around any more, but the name stuck.

    I'm so glad things are going so well with Robbie! Will is 4 months today and I can't believe how much he has grown and changed even in the last week!

    Did Clara tell you she's in my book buddies class? I'm so excited to see her every Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete