Clara was sad that I wasn't going to let her have a birthday party this year, but I told her we could do something fun as a family, like going bowling. She was very excited about that.
I wish I had said something like, "We'll rent a kid movie and snuggle together with popcorn!" That would have been a whole lot more fun, not to mention cheaper.
First of all, we had less than an hour to bowl because we had to get Hyrum to a stake youth committee meeting.
Secondly, it was crazy expensive.
Thirdly, Clara did not want to roll her ball down the lane. She got very upset and started crying. This kind of situation is tricky because on the one hand, we know that Clara has a hard time with new places, transitions, loud noises, etc., and we want to be understanding. But on the other hand, there are times when a firm, no-nonsense attitude is required. Michael told her to stop crying, or--I can't remember what the consequence was--oh, I think it was something like, "Clara, if this is how you're going to act when we try to go bowling, then I don't think we want to take you to Disney World next year." (Clara has been wanting to go and we are hoping we can go next year some time. Another lesson learned: Don't tell your kid about things too far in advance.)
Apparently that was enough motivation because she did stop crying and did try to push the ball down the lane a couple of times. Then I asked one of the employees if we could use one of those ramp thingies, which he--very reluctantly--went and got out of the closet.
That helped a lot, but even still, Clara wasn't interested in bowling after about six frames.
I realized that a pregnant person probably should not be bowling, so I only did it a few times before I felt like I should stop.
So it ended up that Hyrum and Michael bowled for me and Clara as well as for themselves. Hyrum trounced us all, then we hurried to the car and grabbed food on the way to his ride's house.
Good thing I got this pic to make me remember something positive about this experience.
Michael told me afterwards (or maybe during), "We are never going bowling again."
And I totally agreed.
Great story!
ReplyDeleteLast year we took the girls fishing and it was awful. Ellie kept trying to jump into the lake and Abby kept crying and whining because the grass was wet and making her feet wet through her sandals. There were also red ants everywhere.
A few days later, Abby asked when we were going fishing again and Garrett said "NEVER!" Haha.
it is so sad when that happens- we try our hardest to make something super fun and it becomes a total flop.
ReplyDeleteShaun and I decided a while ago that the only bowling we are ever going to do is on the Wii...it's cheaper and we get better scores!
ReplyDeleteSorry, but I think this story is hilarious. We have these kinds of experiences a little too often, so I can totally relate :). Most of the time they end up being fun to talk about (after a while).
ReplyDeleteI went bowling when I was 8 months pregnant with Adam, and it didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I thought I'd better use the lightest ball they had, so I ended up with an 8-pounder with a thumb hole that was WAY too small. It would either catch on my knuckle leaving my hand (nearly taking my thumb with it) or it would fly out of my hand too soon because I would be holding it by my fingertips. I guess it was one of those "I'll never do that again" experiences :)...
So I guess you won't be joining the future bowling league with me and Justin, bummer!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE bowling!!! I always get a little competitive whenever I bowl. Justin and I just went for his birthday. The place was being renavated and looked totally sketchy, so we had LOTS of good laughs that evening.
This post made me laugh! Sorry it wasn't a great experience, but you captured it well. :) I'm so glad roller skating was a better experience!
ReplyDelete