Sunday, February 5, 2012

Life

These days I don't really feel like I have much to write about. I am still pregnant, and it still feels pretty surreal. My burgeoning belly is helping things sink in a little at a time. A while ago Clara told me, "Your bottom is getting bigger!" Thank you, dear.

We are now business owners as well as commercial real estate owners. Michael and I went on a walk yesterday morning, and I was expressing my concerns (aka worries). He smiled and said, "You really don't do well with uncertainty, do you?" Nope. Unless it's fun uncertainty, like choosing what to have for breakfast.

But the reality of being self-employed is that there is a risk. I realized, however, after our conversation that there is a risk inherent in everything, even being employed by someone else. Life is not about being in control and making everything neat and tidy, a statement I know to be true but consistently try to disprove.

Michael loves what he does (and is quite good at it), which makes it all worth it. And being on a team with the Lord and my husband, how can we possibly lose?

(Confession: I totally took this pic by myself on timer just so I could show you guys what my office looked like and sport my semi-straight hair that lasted less than 48 hours.)

I have also started working at the practice--just 5-10 hours a week--and I do enjoy it, although it is intimidating. I do the books, which is basically like keeping track of your own household finances (which I enjoy as well) but on a larger scale.

I have also been keeping busy as our pack cubmaster. I have to say, these boys are hilarious and I love interacting with them, even though I get stressed out about it every Wednesday.

 
We held our first pinewood derby two weeks ago. The boys were so excited and just about jumping off the walls. Good times.

Hyrum has been busy with basketball games and practice, but yesterday evening we went to a benefit dinner and auction together as a family for a friend of ours who is battling cancer.

I'd never actually been to an auction before where the guy is talking a million miles a minute. Michael bid on this cake:




It looked pretty amazing and was quite moist (ooh, hate that word!), but I was disappointed that the frosting was almond-flavored. I like raw almonds but can't stand almond flavoring. Not sure why.

Guess I had more to say than I thought. Happy February!


5 comments:

  1. I'm also not big on risk. Have you ever played the board game? I'm terrible at it. I build on my little continent with no desire to conquer the world. Needless to say, I don't win.

    I think it's exciting that y'all are running a business! There are so many great things that go with it. For instance - look at your cute office. And your cute self. How many weeks are you now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brittany. I am so excited taht you are pregnant! Congrats! That's cool about working at the practice. That is ultimately our goal as well, although a few more years away after residency and everything. When we get to that point, I'd love to chat and ask you lots of questions. And, I love your hair, I always have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice office! Why do you hate the word moist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your life! Thanks for posting...especially the photo from the timer. I'm even happier that I've seen your office in person. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete