Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Just routine

"Create a daily schedule. . . . This will help [your child] understand and prioritize what he needs to accomplish each day" (Raising a Sensory Smart Child, p. 224).

I have read this and many variations on this theme in so many developmental books: a schedule will help you and your child. Especially for children who have transition challenges and motor planning problems, many experts tout that a schedule is very helpful.

Oh, how I have fought it.

It probably seems counter-intuitive that a person like me (read: likes to be in control and likes things orderly) would be so against making a "schedule" for Clara (i.e. me). Don't get me wrong--I've started ones before, but without success. I find that as soon as I feel reined in by a schedule, I feel I have to fight against it and scrap the whole thing entirely. I like to control my schedule and not feel controlled by it.

Does this make any sense?

ANYWAY, as time has passed, Michael and I have felt that having a predictable routine would be very helpful for us as well as for Clara. So we finally did it. We compromised with the "daily schedule" concept and made up a morning and a night routine. It's a happy compromise because what with preschool three days a week, physical therapy, occupational therapy, ballet, and adaptive aquatics, the rest of our day is scheduled enough as it is.

We also threw in a chore chart, a toileting routine reminder, and a "family rules" list for good measure.

Boy do we feel empowered.

Check out this sweet morning routine, ably illustrated by my husband. (Don't you think he missed his calling as an artist?)


Here's the night routine.


I posted them by Clara's bed (note the nice canister of chili powder Clara placed on her nightstand).

Can I just tell you what a sense of peace and consistency we're feeling? Clara expects it, and we have a visual reminder for ourselves because quite frankly, sometimes we forget all our good parenting intentions.

Don't you love these pictures?! The consequence for not doing "the steps" as we call them (Clara has SUCH a hard time doing these): Mr. Bear goes on the shelf because he doesn't like dirty hands. It's a pretty good motivator.


Our family rules, complete with consequences as appropriate.


"Clara bear's chore chart"--I got this idea from my sister-in-law Shannyn who did a way cooler chore chart.

Having a predictable morning and night routine makes us all happy.


Giddy, in fact.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! Your organization is amazing and the charts?? Fabulous. I was admiring the cute graphics and was wondering where you got them. Little did I know, Micheal's got hidden talent. So cute! I'm glad the routine is working out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your family rules, can I see them bigger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great charts! I really should make some for my kids. I love how you explain Mr Bear doesn't like dirty hands.

    ReplyDelete