Oh, how I was enthralled. Where do I begin?
The illustrations: The pictures are whimsical, charming, winsome, and engaging. The facial expressions are fabulous and the whole book just makes you want to dive in and live there.
The stories: Hughes perfectly captures everyday life experiences of a British family--in the, what, mid-50s?--and tells them in such a captivating way. Alfie and Annie Rose have lots of books, but she's also written one called Dogger and several about Lucy and Tom and some other children. We've read about fifteen of her books, I'm guessing, and I wish I could own every one of them. Or any one of them, for that matter.
I don't know if her style only appeals to some people, but it certainly appealed to me. In fact, I love this lady so much I'm thinking about naming a child after her. (What do you think, honey? Okay, maybe if we ever get a dog. How about then?)
Check out Shirley Hughes today. You won't regret it. And if you do, give that book right back to the library so a more appreciative soul can check it out.
that's so fun. we feel that way about Mo Willems and Kevin Henkes, at any given time we have, oh, all of their books checked out.
ReplyDeleteGood tips! We're off to the library this afternoon (we do that a LOT when it starts getting cold) so I'll have to check out those recommendations.
ReplyDeletethanks, we always love more ideas for good kids books.
ReplyDeletethanks, we always love more ideas for good kids books.
ReplyDeleteWith your writing talents and Michael's artistry, you, two, should be writing your own series of books about Clara Beara! I'll have to check these out. Nana Jill
ReplyDelete