Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Great Pumpkin

We had every intention of going to a pumpkin patch this year to pick a pumpkin, but with Clara's leg and busy weekends, we decided not to. But hey, a store-bought pumpkin is better than no pumpkin at all (isn't that how the saying goes?).

Clara is very sensory-driven: She really likes something if it meets her sensory needs, or she really doesn't like it if it freaks her out. And, as with many other neurologically-based issues, it is not consistent from day to day--one day she might enjoy something that another day she couldn't handle.

When it came to the pumpkin, I was wary of her reaction . . . I knew she'd either love the goop inside or not want to participate at all. I'm learning over time that a gentle introduction to all things new is best. Sometimes that doesn't work, but often it does. And she can't feel any pressure to participate because if she knows that I want her to do it, the powerhouse within her fights back. REVISED NOTE: Some have commented that their kids refused to touch the goop. That would be most kids, I think. But I knew that with Clara's tactile needs, that she'd really like it (more so than other kids), so I wanted her to try it. If that makes any sense.

The beginning. "I don't think I like it," was Clara's initial response as I began working on the pumpkin.

Testing the water.

Really getting into it now.

Yeeha! Victory! She played in the goop for about 15 minutes or so (I knew she'd love it!). She even ate it--Clara has no inhibitions about eating anything, edible or not.

We let Daddy cut the design out when he came home from work/school (whatever residency can be defined as).

I loved playing with my dad's tie, too.

The finished product. Hooray for pumpkins!

5 comments:

  1. That is a great picture of you guys. Carving the pumpkin is so fun! I'm glad Clara likes it, my kids won't touch the stuff inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome pumpkin. We plan to buy ours from the store this year as well. :)
    I am amazed that Clara liked the goop inseide. I can't even get my 9-year old to play with that goop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah,success! On another note, where did you get the cute apron she is wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I can't believe how grown up Clara looks in these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clara is such a beautiful little girl! And I love your walk in the woods pictures. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete