Thursday, September 10, 2026

Summertime . . . where the livin' is easy . . . (?)

 Well, summer has come and gone. It flew by faster than any summer before, which was certainly bittersweet. I felt we were a little too scheduled (last summer I didn't feel we had quite enough structure, so I guess I swung the pendulum the other way this year). With swim team, baseball camp for Henry, art camp for Benjy, farm camp for Clayton, FSY and young men's camp for Robbie, running camp for Robbie, golf lessons for Henry and Robbie, golf camp for Benjy and Henry, Capernaum camp for Clara, daily jobs, piano, the library summer reading program, and hosting friends and family at the lake, it was a full time. Not to mention four summer birthdays (for another post). Good times to be sure, but maybe it was a little much. Still, when they're involved in things, they're not at home complaining that they're bored, so . . . Needless to say, this season of life is busy and meaningful and I'm grateful for it. The kids each have their own challenges and strengths and we are all learning and hopefully improving. They are truly a gift.

Job charts for the summer help keep things more sane. Kids hate 'em, I love 'em. 

Another good garlic crop! Easiest plant ever to grow but makes you feel like a boss in the garden.

One major highlight of the summer was hiking St. Mary's Wilderness, which ends at a beautiful waterfall and freezing pool after about a 2.25 mile hike in. 

Favorite hikers.

The water was so tempting that Michael got in despite his not bringing a swimsuit. 

Fun at the lake with the Lansings--my old BYU roommate, Joy's family.

Boat time. 


Fun with the Hunts, Inkuhi'anganas, Briggs, Karrens.

We decided to take the kids to DC to see some of the monuments with them in honor of our country's birthdate. We took a hop-on hop-off trolley tour, which definitely helped with little legs in the heat.

I was truly sobered by the Vietnam Memorial. The sacrifices of so many, which we take for granted.

Jefferson Memorial.

Swim team for these boys! Clayton was on the junior barracuda team. His jammers were adorable. The older boys were less than enthusiastic at times, but I am super proud of their sticking with it and getting some good exercise and improving their skills. Robbie was also very diligent about running according to the schedule his coach had given him. 

Lake time with Uncle Hyrum.

A fun treat (but also slightly stressful) was pet-sitting for a neighbor who has a bearded dragon. I had seriously considered getting one, and I was grateful for the opportunity to realize that no, I don't have any extra bandwidth for more living creatures. Even though Eliot (the dragon) was super chill and fun.

This year I decided to grow wildflowers in the garden instead of vegetables. An absolute joy was going out to pick flowers for centerpieces for various occasions, like a neighborhood potluck dinner and Benjy's baptism.

Lots of trips to the library meant super long check-out receipts.

Three of my seminary students (one not pictured here, Mallece Lorimer)--here with Shanna and Haley Robertson--received their endowments this summer. So special.

We were so grateful that we could have Grandma and Grandpa Weiler come up for Benjy's baptism!

They were even brave enough to venture out on the "couch" to be pulled behind the boat.

Benjy's baptism was beautiful and there were so many people there to support him.

I'm grateful that Michael was able to baptize Benjy.

Reading time with Grandma.

Golf camp for Henry and Benjy. The problem is that they don't have many opportunities to play unless I drive them somewhere, but hopefully little by little they'll get the game and love it. Despite my initial reservations when Michael was taking it up during dental school, I see how the sport can help them with their mental self-talk, learn to manage disappointment (so frequent in golf, haha), learn good manners, get them outside in nature, and provide good exercise their entire lives.

I am also in charge of our joint ward playgroup and planned an activity each week. This hike to Fridley Gap was a fun one despite the super shallow water due to the drought conditions.

The Rockingham County Fair is a big deal around these parts, the largest in the state. The kids didn't want to see the animals this year and instead just hung out in the midway. Clayton enjoyed bumper cars for the first couple of minutes but then wished he could get out. Me too haha.

Fun times. Robbie said this was his last time riding rides at the midway because he gets too sick. I can't blame him. We also enjoyed some overpriced soft pretzels and fresh lemonade.

Every year, Michael budgets a certain amount for community giving, and a big chunk of that is spent at the fair, where he bids on auctioned animals that some of his patients (40 or more) raise to sell. According ot the Shenandoah Valley website, "The International Association of Fairs and Expositions has awarded the Fair 1st place for approximately 20 years with the "overall program" for Competitive Agricultural Exhibitors." So that's cool. Michael purchased six goats and then gives them back to the floor--not sure exactly what that means. But one thing it does mean is that we get all sorts of goodies from grateful kids, like this personalized glass food container with cookies inside. 



1 comment:

  1. I am glad I was laying down about to take a little nap as I read this post because it made me so tired. You and Michael do amazing things for your family!

    ReplyDelete