Tuesday, January 12, 2016

First Annual Weiler Family Awards Dinner

I got this idea from a Relief Society meeting about family traditions and raising children. I talked about it to Michael, and he thought it was a good idea as well. So, last weekend we held our first annual Weiler Family Awards dinner.

I had been looking for an excuse to use my mom's beautiful china and silver--this was the perfect opportunity. Plus I was able to talk to the kids about place settings with more than one fork, etc.

We all dressed up, and we ate three "courses"--salad (Robbie actually ate two pieces of lettuce--amazing!); homemade mac (very fancy) and broccoli, and clementines for the main course; and dessert (cupcakes from the Cupcake Co. here in Harrisonburg).

 Spiffy little banner I got from Target.

I enjoyed setting the table. Robbie is really into stickers right now and had a super tough time keeping his "R" on his napkin and not taking it off. Fortunately he resisted until dinner time.

 Enjoying the first course. Check out Robbie's monster salad.

 After dinner, we retired to the living room to give and receive awards. Clara got the award for courage--courage for participating in her school spelling bee, chorus concert, and being the older sister to two younger brothers.

 Hug with a foot pop!

 Robbie got the award for creativity--for his Lego creations, drawings, and coming up with new ways to charm and cajole. Michael got the award for balancing--effectively prioritizing his practice, playing with the kids, helping me, working on his golf game, and serving as bishop. I got the award (from Michael) for patience--enduring patiently through Henry's birth, nurturing three children, loving my husband.


Michael put together a great slideshow of photos from 2015. Henry was into it!

Then we moved the coffee table out of the way, put on an oldies playlist, and had a dance party.

The night was a whole lot of fun, and it was worth having to hand wash the dishes. I realize more and more that anything you want to do as a parent has to be done intentionally because it is a whole lot easier to just let each day pass by, putting out the fires and doing the same routines, than it is to take life by the horns and do with it what you wish.

Clara and Robbie will occasionally put their hands in the middle and shout, "Goooo family!" as they raise their hands up like a team cheer. I have to agree--Gooooo family!!

3 comments:

  1. This brought happy tears. I'm so happy this world has your family. Love, Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is neat! I wish we had done it through the years. Great idea! I need to know about the whole RS night so I can borrow ideas for a future Enrichment night for our ward...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love it! Seems like the evening turned out so beautifully! Robbie's salad was awesome, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete