Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Going to bed

Robbie doesn't love going to bed and sometimes it's a bit tricky getting him into that bed. Since he learned to climb out of his crib around 16 months, he's had a toddler bed for quite a while. We had to turn the door handle around and lock him in because he would keep coming out during naps and bedtime. Now we still lock it but he stays in bed and calls out, "Mom!" or "Dad!" when he awakens. It is much nicer now that he's getting older and doesn't cry himself awake much anymore.

This is an entry I wrote a few weeks ago:

Tonight I got him in his pajamas (with some fuss, but I soothed him by saying he could go see Daddy when he was all dressed). Then we went upstairs to brush his teeth, which of course he wanted to do all by himself. I told him it was my turn and so I finished brushing them, after which he said, "Good job, honey." Then he sauntered over to his bookshelf to get some books to read. We first read an old Dora book (from Clara), and then he got his favorite Cars and Trucks and Things that Go, by Richard Scarry. He loves finding Goldbug and Dingo and pointing out things we've discussed during past readings ("Oh no!" when he points to the pickles falling out of the pickle truck). He wanted another truck book, but I told him we could read it tomorrow. I went over to his bed and knelt down for prayers, but he wanted a different blanket. So we went to the playroom to get the white fleece blanket, which I wrapped him up in and carried him back to his bedroom, and placed him by his bed for prayers. We began to pray. "Dear Heavenly Father," I began. "Thank thee for . . . " and then he filled in the blanks and I repeated them. His words: "For Addy" (our neighbor's dog). "For cousins." "For fence." "For cousins' fence." "For Dad." Then we finished the prayer by asking Heavenly Father to bless him to make good choices and have a good sleep. I put him in bed, and he wanted me to sing "temple" ("I Love to See the Temple"). (He also commanded, "Sit down," which he says when he wants us to sit on the floor by his bed instead of perching on our knees in preparation to leave quickly.) Then he wanted "Bunny Foo-Foo," so I did an abbreviated version of that (the fairy only gave him one chance instead of three). Then he wanted "Bunny," which is the song "There was a little house in the middle of the woods/a little old man at the window stood," etc. Then he wanted "temple" again, but I told him we'd already sung that. So I got up to leave. He said, "Hug" and so I picked him up and gave him a hug and tucked him under his (three) blankets. I began walking toward the door, and he said, "I want a kiss." So I came back and gave him a kiss and told him I loved him.

(NOTE: A few weeks later, the routine is now very much in place. "I love to see the temple," then "Little Bunny Foo Foo," followed by a "really fast!" version of "There was a little house." Then he wants a "fast" hug and a kiss, which he asks for multiple times, even as you're leaving the room. :-))

These nighttime routines take a while, but boy, they sure make for some sweet moments if I am being mindful. He is such a precious boy.

Here are some pics I took of him and Daddy preparing for bed.

 Robbie loves the camera.

Getting ready to read Hug.

 Besides books, Robbie also likes to bring Duplos and trains to bed with him, and he has to have both Huggles and Brown Bear with him, along with two fleece blankets. (He always wakes up so sweaty!)

 Man that smiler is a killer!

Sweet dreams, our sweet boy.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet smile! I agree...bedtime routines yield some beautiful moments if I remember to not begrudge them and BE in the moment. Thanks for the reminder. And happy belated birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's neat to know that you're singing him songs that we sung to you! He is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete