Our awesome friends, the Lansings, came up from Richmond a couple of
weeks ago. It was so fun to have them. We had a great time at home and
enjoyed going out for dessert on Friday night, adults-only.
On
Saturday, we took them to the annual Mennonite Harvest Day, where kids
and adults get to do "old-timey" activities. Despite it being probably
the hottest day of the entire summer, good times were had by all.
Clara
and Michael sawed a log; I joined in and helped Clara, but we didn't
saw it all the way through (Michael was bummed I quit, but it was taking
forever. There were so many other things I wanted to do!).
Here Clara is helping to saw a piece of wood for a necklace.
The kids and Ted were preparing to make their very own wooden nut and bolt. So cool.
Clara
and I made a rag doll out of yarn--I was impressed Clara stuck with
winding the thread 100 times around one board and 50 times around the
other.
Then we washed a rag on the washboard and hung it up to dry. Who knew washing clothes by hand could be such a blast?
This
was my favorite part of the whole day--this volunteer was making true
kettle corn in a big copper kettle. He stirred the kernels in the bottom
with lots of oil and a lot of them just popped out of the pot, but
plenty stayed in and we enjoyed a bag.
Joy
and Theo at lunch. We ate with a super loud auctioneer in the
background auctioning off pies and tarts, but the Strites' donut (a
legend here in the Valley) and homemade vanilla ice cream that Ted
treated us to made all the difference.
So glad they came--thanks again, guys!
How neat! What fun things to do, too. Did you know that we have Mennonite ancestors? Just learned that...
ReplyDeleteFun, fun, fun! So glad you're taking the time to do these kinds of things!
ReplyDeleteSome of your ancestors on the Bitner side were indeed Mennonites. One was imprisoned in the Swiss castle of Thun, I believe, for his beliefs.