Two weeks ago, Michael's parents and Hyrum came up to visit and to very kindly babysit for us so we could go on a getaway. We hadn't been away just the two of us for nearly two years. It was time.
Before we left, however, we enjoyed a few days with the Weilers. Michael's dad's birthday was the day they drove up, so we celebrated upon their arrival.
The Weilers bring their bikes up when they come to visit, and while Robbie was not happy about it at first, he quickly acclimated and enjoyed his cush ride. (Grandma Weiler is following behind out of this shot's range.)
We spent two nights at The Homestead down in Hot Springs, Virginia. This hotel was first built in 1766 and has since gone through lots of updates and a fire and different ownership. It is very, very large.
Michael enjoyed a hot stone massage, and I had my feet "rescued" (a fancy pedicure). I am not into spas as they're not really the way I like to relax, but Michael loved it. I did enjoy sitting in a warm spa chair and took a little nap. It felt very weird walking around in a white hotel robe--I felt like we were in an "afterlife" planet on Star Trek or something.
The Homestead boasts the oldest still-existing golf hole in America. Michael was thrilled to be able to play this course.
I enjoyed encouraging him from the side and sitting in my comfy seat in the golf cart reading between holes.
The first night we ate at Sam Snead's Tavern, which was delicious. Friday night we dined in the hotel's luxurious ballroom. And yes, Michael was growing a goatee.
Loved this dessert--it was like Magic Shell poured over really good ice cream.
My favorite part of the weekend was talking: planning together, discussing my concerns, and coming up with solutions for various things at work and at home. Can you tell my love language is quality time and words of affirmation? Basically if I can be listened to, if we can make plans together, spend some time outside, exercise, eat good food, and read, I am filled up.
We tried to get a few classic self-timer shots on our way home.
Wish I could have filmed my antics trying to jump over the wall and get to this spot in time. Michael looked handsome with the goatee, but I was very happy when he shaved it the day after we returned home. I'm not a facial hair kind of gal.
On our way home, Michael wanted to accommodate my desires for a better picture of us (vain me), so he pulled over to the side of the road. To get a good shot, he backed the car up . . . right into a ditch. A guy immediately pulled over and gave Michael a ride to the gas station where he got a tow truck to come and haul the car out. Meanwhile, I stood by the car and waited and had probably fifteen cars stop to see if I needed any help.
If you need to increase your faith in humanity, just get your car stuck in the middle of nowhere outside of a small town. So many good people are still in the world, despite what the news would have you think otherwise.
I had some really awesome pictures that I can't find anywhere!!! I must have accidentally deleted them from my camera. Super bummer because the ditch was pretty impressive.
After church on Sunday, we took a few shots before the Weilers had to drive home to GA.
When Hyrum arrived the previous Monday, he worried that Robbie wouldn't remember him. It did take him a little while, but Robbie quickly warmed up and loved Hyrum just like old times. We will have to keep showing Robbie pictures of Hyrum while he's gone on his mission (leaving next month to go to Irvine California, Spanish-speaking) so that he won't forget his favorite uncle. It was great having Hyrum here again, although it felt like another life when he lived with us since so much has happened since he left in June. We held an open house for him while he was here since so many people wanted to know how he was doing. He's a popular guy 'round these parts.
It was a wonderful visit. Thanks again, Grandma and Grandpa! And Hyrum!
Loved this blog - what a gorgeous getaway, especially in the fall! You should make that an annual thing...
ReplyDeleteHyrum looks great as do the Weilers - that last picture is a classic, especially smiling little Clara! Love you all
What a beautiful getaway! That's one of the perks of living back east. Lots of beautiful places to visit in quick jiffy. Fall is my favorite time of year to travel with the crisp air and fall leaves.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great visit! It made me so happy that you were able to get away together to such a nice place, that the Weilers were able to come up and that Hyrum was able to see his friends. Robbie and Clara are just so dang cute. Life doesn't get much better than this.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful trip!! You look gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteAnd Clara looks JUST like her Grandma Weiler in that last picture!! Great shot. She is so cute.
Glad you all are doing well!