Thursday, April 11, 2013

Unfinished and halfway and okay

Perhaps like some of my readers, I struggle with postponing my happiness and sense of peace until "everything" is done--laundry up-to-date, church callings planned for, dinner prepared, new house decisions of the day decided, rooms tidy, finances in order, scriptures studied, desk clear.

And yet I never seem to get to the "done" part. Funny how that is.

I was struck by something I read that Elder Russell M. Nelson said back in October 1987 as he spoke to the women of the Church:

Sisters, be patient. I know something of the pressures you feel. Your kitchens are too small. Your budgets are too tight. Demands upon you exceed your capacity to help all who cry out to you. Through it all, “Improve the shining moments; Don’t let them pass you by” (Hymns, 1985, no. 226).

 Take time for spiritual regeneration.

I’ll share a few lines that have sustained Sister Nelson through the years. They also reflect her sense of priority:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait ’til tomorrow.
For babies grow up,
We’ve learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.
Dust, go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby,
And babies don’t keep.
 
I’m glad Sister Nelson has not tried to be a “supermom.” But she has been a “soothing” mom. This she has done simply by being herself.

When priorities are in place, one can more patiently tolerate unfinished business.

I love that last line so much. Being okay with incompleteness is part of accepting the Savior's grace, recognizing that it will never all be done, but He can make up for the rest. "It" could be translated to be our mundane to-do lists as well as our own characters. As long as our priorities are where they should be, we are doing fine.

The quote above is one that I have on a plaque from my mom. I am not good at following it but am working on it. I am trying to remember that people are more important than tasks completed or a clean house. I realized this morning that I don't qualify for the Lord's blessings based on how much I've accomplished or completed. I qualify based on my obedience to His commandments, my service and charity, and my reliance on His Son. And of course, I qualify simply because He allows us to through His perfect love and compassion.



So I am trying to be okay with unfinished business just as soon as I finish the laundry and prepare dinner and and just enjoy this beautiful, happy day.

7 comments:

  1. You have such great thoughts! Yet something else for me to think about! I love what you shared about Elder Nelson and his wife, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding joy amid the unfinished and never-ending housework is a constant struggle. I find the more stressed I am about the things I'm trying to get done, the more I lose my temper with my kids. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice a little cleanliness for some happiness instead:) Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that I had given you that plaque! It certainly helped me through the years (I do think though that it's not an excuse to have a totally dirty house!). I'm so glad that you have learned this lesson!

    And I love the final photo of the kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem stanza from Sister Nelson. She's right--babies don't keep. Putting the to-do list on the back burner so you can love on your babies and embrace the moment is such a learned art!! We are all in that boat together, aren't we? Thanks for the reminder of what matters most!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany,

    Thanks so much sharing your thoughts. This is exactly what I needed to hear today! Sometimes I get so worked up by all the "stuff" that we have, it consumes my time and energy. I have been in the process of weeding things out. While in that process I haven't been as patient with my family as I need to be. Like you I am learning everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this blog post. i have a huge problem ignoring the kids until i've finished cleaning whatever. i don't want to be like that anymore! good advice brittany, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your house looks amazing, you have done a wonderful job! Im sure it is hard, but you will love it no matter what. Your kids are so adorable too! They really do look so much alike! I am trying to be ok with things undone as well, it isn't easy!

    ReplyDelete