Friday, April 13, 2012

Spontaneity at an end

On our last full day in Atlanta, we went to the Fernbank Science Museum with Bryan and Emily.

I hadn't been there in years, and we enjoyed the kid-centered exhibits.

 These three Musketeers were so photogenic I couldn't resist taking more pictures, even when they weren't really paying attention.

 Yikes! Ferocious dinosaurs on the loose.

 Just a short trip down the river in the canoe we hewed out of a large log, all by ourselves.

 Giant bubbles = every child's (and adult's) dream.

Gotta end on a silly face.

After we had absorbed as much history and science as we could, we stopped by The Varsity to get lunch. It was my first time being inside (rather shameful for someone who lived most of her life outside of Atlanta).

 Of course I had to order the traditional frozen orange drink. We shared one and it was good, but I couldn't finish it. Guess I had filled up on that burger and all those fries. And Clara's grilled cheese.

The whole gang--apparently Clay and I were the only ones cool enough to wear the hat.

We also dropped by my oldest brother's house for a brief visit, which was great. Families are the best.

The next morning we headed back to Harrisonburg, which welcomed us with temperatures twenty or so degrees cooler. It was a memory-filled trip and I am so glad I made it while I can still fit behind the steering wheel.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! I'm glad you were able to go. The one time a few years ago that I went to visit Atlanta for a dental conference, one of my friends that lives there came and picked me up to take me out to eat - to the Varsity! So that is kinda funny that you had never been inside! Anyway, it is so nice that you have lots of family that lives in that area and that it's possible to drive there. I sure wish my kids had some cousins to play with and/or some family that we could drive to. Everyone is out west!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great trip! Glad to have you guys back, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck, I'VE been to the Varsity!

    (When I was 16, on a school band trip to Atlanta.)

    I'm glad you finally got to experience that restaurant. I thought it was so cool at the time.

    ReplyDelete