Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Big 17

Our "son" is now 17 years old; can you believe it?!

For his birthday, Hyrum requested (at my insistence that he pick something) homemade pizza for dinner, and a cookie cake and ice cream for dessert.

 We also regaled him with gifts (haha)--lots of new socks (I couldn't handle the old ones with all the holes!) and a stability ball for exercising. Here we are teaching Hyrum how to do "heavy heavy hang over," a Dunford family tradition where you hold the gift over the giver's head and say, "Heavy heavy hang over thy pour head, what do you wish this person with a bump (and then bump the gift down on the person's head) on the head?" Then the recipient has to wish the giver something good out loud. Hyrum wished Michael that he'd hit under 90 on a par 18 course this year. Michael liked that wish a lot.

 Hyrum's seminary teacher makes gourmet cupcakes and she made him a dozen (some are missing here--I might have snuck one) for his birthday. Amazing.

 The whole family--note Hyrum's height and precarious position. We literally took this pic on timer probably five times because it was argued that the driveway slanted slightly and either Michael or Hyrum were on their tippy toes, trying to prove who is taller. For the record, Michael is still slightly taller than Hyrum.

I am swallowing my pride in showing this picture, I'll have you know.

Clara gave him a kiss and a hug and continually said, "Happy birthday Hyrum!" or "It's your birthday celebration, Hyrum!"

7 comments:

  1. Swallowing your pride... because you are ADORABLE and don't want to make anyone else who may be pregnant self conscious that they aren't as cute as you?? GOSH! YOU are SO CUTE! (And, actually, I'm not a self conscious pregnant person, so I'm not really talking about me... but Wow! I love finally seeing a pregnant picture of you!). Swallow no pride, my dear. And just LOVE how cute you are!

    I think your Dunford birthday tradition is funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They grow so quickly. It seems like yesterday he joined your family. Love the belly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Hyrum! And congrats on the baby boy! That is so exciting. I see the special bond my girlfriends share with their sons and it's something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! What a great family tradition, and a great way to turn the receiver back to the giver, if said receiver is a child and might not quite internalize gratitude. awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bump is ADORABLE! So happy for you to have it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carry the bump with pride! I'm dreading the first few months after pregnancy...when I will still be packing around my baby fat and looking pregnant. Ugh..exercise:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look absolutely beautiful, Brittanica...show that off, you've earned it!

    Cookie cake is my preferred birthday dessert, and your homemade ones are making me wish it was September already...

    ReplyDelete