Examples: Jimmy and Alison at Kroger, who always ask about Clara; the librarians at our library (more on them for another post); people at church, etc., etc.
(I need to take a picture of the amazing hand-painted nativity set she was given by another of these dear friends, but it is packed away, along with innumerable other items I am hoping I don't need between now and next week.)
In the mean time, let me tell you about Clara's visit to the Build-A-Bear store with our friend Beth. Beth tells me I can come along (I wanted to experience it vicariously through my child) as long as I don't make a stink about what she is spending on my child. I agree, and spend a lot of time during our outing pursing my lips with my eyes bugging out as I look at price tags.
Clara immediately is drawn to a sweet, velveteen bear. She adores stuffed animals, but especially bears, as you might recall. We prompt her to keep looking, just in case, and then she picks out this horrible huge-headed Hello Kitty one. Nothing against Hello Kitty, but it was not what I had in mind. Fortunately, we come back to the bear and it was still the number one choice.
After you pick the unstuffed animal, you get to have it stuffed by a very loud "fluff machine." This causes distress and tears for Clara, so Beth gets another one and has it stuffed while Clara holds the empty one. She handles it pretty well, all things considered, and even helps put the little satin heart inside before the bear is stitched up.
Then we pick out an outfit and we are set to go.
Clara does not let go of the little "house" that the bear came in for the rest of our outing and refuses to let us carry it.
I ask Clara what she wanted to name the bear. She tells me, "Clara." I inform her that she cannot name it Clara because (1) she has already named a doll Clara, and (2) she needs to think of something else. I suggest "Rosie" because the bear has a little rose on her adorable pink satin bloomers.
In addition to buying Rosie, taking us to lunch, buying Clara candy and a cookie, getting an adorable-but-overpriced ornament dedicated to us, and getting her treats for the car, Beth has been a wise and encouraging friend to me (she is a special ed teacher), one who has sat with Clara when I've needed to lead the music, and one who has shown me a true example of faith and unconditional love.
We will never forget her, just like we can't possibly forget so many others who have impacted our lives here in Augusta over the past 6 1/2 years so much.
Rosie is now a member of our family, and is a permanent fixture in Clara's arms, along with Mr. Bear. (Oh, you thought Mr. Bear wasn't around any more? So much for my efforts.)
That made me miss Augusta!!! Not that I don't from time to time, but I'm with you we had a lot of really AMAZING people in the Augusta Ward! :) Beth is so sweet! I'm so glad she has been there for you guys. I know that the Lord puts us in certain places for certain reasons.
ReplyDeleteOur next door neighbor was just baptized. He has been taking the discussions since we moved here. After his baptism he asked Justin "If he thought the Lord puts other people in people's lives for a reason?" He said that on the day that we moved in he felt like he needed to come over. He also meet the Bishop, Elders Quroum President and Missionaries that day as they were helping us move in. Pretty AMAZING what the Lord will do!!! :)
So that's who Rosie is! Clara talked about her a lot on Sunday, but I couldn't remember any of her animals named Rosie. Good to know. And don't tell my girls about build-a-bear, they don't need to know it exists. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to becoming good friends with Clara! How are the moving preparations going? Are to the point where you just want to leave so you don't have to say goodbye to anyone else? It so hard but we can't wait to have you closer.
ReplyDeleteIt is such a blessing to have wonderful friends. I am glad she picked the bear too.
ReplyDelete