Monday, December 20, 2010

New digs

Well, we made it to Harrisonburg safe and sound. Michael drove the massive 24-foot truck with me driving separately in our car. About 15 people from our church here came to help us unpack, and they were awesome.

We hadn't seen the place in person before we came, so we were a little nervous. Fortunately, we really like it.

It's a "paired home," which is a fancy word for duplex, except that it is more like a house divided in two with separate entrances on opposite sides of the house (so you really feel like you have your own place. We just signed a six-month lease, but we might end up staying quite a bit longer because we love the locale and how quiet it is. The house itself isn't huge, but we don't need a big place and haven't really missed the furniture we had to put in the garage and attic.


The day after we moved, we got some snow. Clara was very happy. Very happy.


Then I had to drive in it to help return the moving truck with Michael. I was afraid I was going to die, or at least crash the car. We discovered we have bald tires and we definitely need to get all-wheel drive, or snow tires, or something.


A sweet old lady across the street (we discovered we live in a mostly retired neighborhood) invited us over for herb tea and cookies when she saw Michael pulling Clara in our make-shift sled (our ice cooler) up and down the street. We have already been invited to dinner and on two play-dates. We are thankful for so much kindness, both here and in Augusta helping us pack the truck and move out. Still, I miss my friends in Augusta and miss the comfort of knowing where I am going as I drive--Michael has an excellent sense of direction but I am not so blessed. I also miss all of Clara's therapists and haven't even begun to try to find ones here. Still, we are grateful to be here.

Even though our place is cozy, we do have three bedrooms and plan to get a hide-a-bed couch or something and some other sleeping arrangements. So don't let that stop anyone from coming to visit us!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you all are enjoying your new home! You have been in our thoughts this past week, especially yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cooler sled made me laugh. Glad you're happy with the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea!!! Love your new place. We will come visit - now that we know you have a little extra room. :) So glad you are all there and safe and sound and surrounded by old people, playdates and SNOW!!!

    love you!!
    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new place looks so cute and cozy! I'm excited for you guys! I love the cooler sled--I remember pulling pool toys out of the garage, or garbage can lids, or garbage bags, to go sledding with in GA!

    I know what you mean about driving in the snow . . . my husband spoils me and bought me an '05 Subaru Legacy with the all-wheel-drive, and we put new tires on it this year. This car does amazing on the snow and ice, but also does really great on gas mileage. I feel really safe driving it! But, even just getting new tires on a front-wheel-drive car will make a HUGE difference with how it handles in the snow!

    Good luck with your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute house! Man, you guys are on top of things-- there's already a snowman in front! That's a very innovative cooler sled.

    Are you basically unpacked? Are you ready for CHRISTMAS?!?!??!?! YIppee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a virginian! (With dual citizenship with Georgia of course!) Anyway, we think Virginia is great! Glad to hear friendly people are finding you. Best of luck with the adjustment! You guys are gonna rock it! Can't way to get together with you guys sometime soon! XOXO! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE the cooler sled! Coolest idea ever! Also how great is that that you have nice neighbors? So wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about you for weeks! But taking my time in the commenting, sorry.

    Hooray for arrival in VA!! (Hooray for living in VA!!) Your new home is darling. I wish, I wish, I could come and visit you!

    ReplyDelete