I had planned on having at least one--probably two--more kid(s) by the time Clara turned five. That unfortunately hasn't happened, but that's another story. I subconsciously pictured our little growing family, a picture-perfect glimpse of happiness as my husband finished his last year of residency and we embarked on a new life. I naturally assumed Clara would be precocious and talented, just like her parents (haha). I'd relish being a mom, despite its challenges, and would commiserate with friends on frequent playdates. Life would be ideal.
However, life doesn't always happen the way we plan.
Words that I'd never thought much about, or even heard of, are now familiar friends to me (well, I wouldn't go quite to friends . . .). Autism. Aspergers. Pervasive developmental delay not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS). Central auditory processing disorder. Dyspraxia. Motor planning. Sensory processing disorder. Adaptive aquatics. Physical therapy. Occupational therapy. Speech therapy. Individualized Education Plan. Special education.
I realize with some chagrin that our challenges with Clara are minute compared to the much more serious or life-threatening difficulties that some parents face with their children--cancer, spina bifida, poverty, cerebral palsy, diabetes, displacement by war, abuse, etc. But as this is my blog, in my vanity I am focused on myself. Sorry.
I have felt many emotions. Disbelief. Shame. Disappointment. Embarrassment. Confusion. Uncertainty. Anger. Fear. Sadness. Pain. Self-pity. Grief.
I've heard on more than one occasion something to the effect of "Oh, but my kids do that, too! You just only have her so you don't have anything to compare her to." I think sometimes people don't believe me, or think I'm exaggerating or just being paranoid when I talk about my concerns. And while I'm sure that many of my emotions are ones felt by all parents traveling on the parenting journey, I have also seen, babysat, taught, and interacted with enough children to know what is "normal" and what isn't.
And you know what? I've decided it's okay to not have a child who is "normal."
So I must add to the emotions above. Joy. Surprise. Mirth. Love. Silliness. Pride. Astonishment. Admiration.
Having Clara has helped me feel more deeply. I have savored the sweet victory that comes from a child learning to take her shirt off by herself after I've worked with her about two hundred times. I give thanks that my child now often likes to hold my hand (I used to watch in longing at a mother and a daughter holding hands together). Perhaps this is egotistical of me, but I feel that we appreciate many little things that most parents take completely for granted. I appreciate being able to walk at a somewhat normal pace with my daughter instead of having to drag her along as I used to. I rejoice in a spontaneous kiss and an unexpected "You look like a princess!" comment. I am thankful when she can tell me something she did at school that day. Or when she doesn't growl at a stranger and says "hi" instead. I feel such pleasure knowing that my daughter enjoys drawing now more than she used to, even if she prefers to draw small nonsensical circles on the paper.
Our journey with Clara has introduced me to a whole world of people--good, good people: therapists who have become friends, teachers whom I can call when I need advice, doctors who care about Clara's success and potential. People at church--and elsewhere--who have taken Clara under their wing and love her inexplicably. I confess that I have sometimes wondered why they love Clara when she doesn't always reciprocate in kind. And yet they do, because she is easy to love. With all her wiles and mystery, her rigidity and incomprehensibility, she is a sweet, precious soul. One who wants to please her parents and who is learning to make good choices, albeit painfully at times. She adores books, which makes her mama proud and grateful. She loves music and can sing on pitch, which brings me immense pleasure. She is learning to pray. And she is beautiful--when she laughs and looks into your eyes, the world is a magical place.
There are days when I want to give up, but those days aren't as frequent as they used to be. When Clara asks me for the umpteenth time, "Can we do something else?" but can't think of what she wants to do, or when she can't answer my question or have a normal conversation, I grow frustrated and sometimes angry. Why can't she just count the stinkin' animals? Why can't she just SHARE?!! Why can't she just be normal? Why couldn't I have the kids that all my friends seem to have? Why do I feel so isolated and alone? I don't know if I can do this, I think to myself.
But then, each new day we find--or are given--more strength. I have felt God's love in so many ways--through the people who help Clara, through my amazing husband, through her own actions, through prayers--her guileless ones, ours, and the prayers of others--and sweet experiences. Little by little, I recognize that even if I could, I would not go back and change things.
If she were more neurotypical, I couldn't be the person that I hope I am becoming. I wouldn't be learning the lessons that I so obviously need to learn: learning to let go of what people think of me (and my child), the importance of depending on the Lord, learning to recognize what I can control and what I can't. I am so thankful for Clara, for both the challenging and the wonderful that she brings to us. Being her mother is a gift. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father and for His Son, and having a strong testimony that through temple covenants we can be together eternally provides additional fortitude.
Yesterday an acquaintance was talking to me about Clara, and I told her a little about her situation and she said, "I'm sorry." I was a bit taken aback with my own inner reaction because I realized, I'm not sorry.
I read in a book that happiness is when you don't want to be doing something else. And I am happy.
I can finally say, "Life doesn't always happen the way we plan. Fortunately."
Amen!!! Thank you for posting this. I was having a "why isn't my kid normal" day for the 5th day in a row. Thank you for your perspective and your talent with words, and your mothering of Clara. You inspire me. i love you bri!
ReplyDeleteWendi
Happy Birthday Clara! What a great post, and realization:)I'm planning on returning your call, maybe tomorrow so I don't interrupt Clara's day?
ReplyDeleteI just love you.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday, Clara!
This was beautifully expressed Brittany and I feel strengthened for having read it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Happy birthday Clara!
ReplyDeleteHAPPY 5th CLARA! Wow, I remember the day she was born-- Chelsea and I were both wondering if she would be born on either of our birthdays, but she came right smack in the middle! How time flies.
ReplyDeleteYou've got a great daughter. We are so happy to have Tyson in our family, despite his challenges. He has taught us a ton over the years. I feel like he is a giant on the inside, and I catch quick glimpses of that occasionally. These people with extra challenges are very special spirits to have taken on those challenges and agreed to a harder life. (Okay, maybe that's Saturday's Warrior doctrine, but I believe it!)
Oops, I meant CHELSEY, not Chelsea. Mind blip! (I have 3 Chelsey/Chelsea friends, and sometimes when I'm not concentrating I get the spellings mixed up.)
ReplyDeleteTHe thing is, every mother could use a good lesson like this. We all need to have the push to be more patient, more loving, less self conscience. But we are all not getting the extra tuturing that you are. Your words are wonderful. Clara is an amazing person, because she teaches other's to love more fully! Isn't that what we all want/need! You are amazing, thank you for your persistence and example.
ReplyDeleteThis post brought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat. (Somebody must be burning leaves outside - maybe that's it.) These are wonderful, wonderful insights. Clara is lucky to have you for a mom. We're lucky to have you for a daughter!
ReplyDeleteLove always,
Dad
Hey Brittany. I am so glad I came across your blog to read this post. I am so impressed with you. It's also nice to know that I'm not the only one who has a life that is not always picture perfect. I know I don't really know Clara, but she is a beautiful little girl.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Bri,
ReplyDeleteI love reading your thoughts and learning about your experiences. You are such an inspiration to me. I have long lived by the maxim, "If you can't change the situation, then change your attitude towards it." You have done that, as your last line states... "fortunately..." Love you bunches, Mom
Brittany! I always enjoy reading your blog about Clara - she is such a beautiful little girl. I'm sure some days are hard - and things definitely don't always turn out how WE plan them - but thankfully we have a loving Heavenly Father who DOES know the plan! I was looking back (remembering) at your blog about the Women's retreat ... would you mind emailing me some of the details ... I'm thinking about doing one with our family ... and wanted some ideas! Email: lilpeacher@hotmail.com HUGS!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for writing this post. It brought tears to my eyes and a smack of humility. =o) You have put exactly into words how I feel sometimes as a mother. I obviously don't have the same challenges as you do but I feel overwhelmed often that "I can't do this" or "I'm not doing a good job as a mother" etc. I definetly need to sit back and look at what I DO have. What I CAN do.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome post! I really enjoy reading your blog. Your thoughts are always so uplifting!
ReplyDeleteBrittany, that last comment was from me, Janet. :) I have a question for ya but can't find your email address - savannahdawgs at gmail dot com.
ReplyDeleteoh, you made me cry... that was so beautifully written. Whenever I take a moment to catch up on your blog I am just so impressed with what a wonderful mother you are. Clara is such a beautiful little girl and you can tell in her pictures she is happy, too. So well taken care of. She was blessed to come to the family she did. Thanks for giving me some hopeful, happy tears tonight!
ReplyDelete