Monday, January 11, 2010

Small and simple

Lately I have been thinking a lot about words like consistency, diligence, perseverance, and the scripture that "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass." I have been reminded that it is truly the small things in life that matter most, and that the largest influence we can have is actually through the smallest of ways. The Savior Himself is a perfect example of this true principle: Born as a baby to a poor mother and earthly father, living in an inconsequential country ruled by Romans, in a largely unpopulated world, Jesus Christ lived a quiet life, and most people didn't know He even existed until after His death and resurrection.

And yet today, we see Christianity spreading across the world with millions having come to the knowledge of Christ as their Savior and Redeemer.

Small and simple is the way to go.

And on that note, I'd like to introduce a new small and very simple aspect of my life:

Clara's picture schedule. (It's on a black piece of foamboard, which is difficult to see.) Based on the PECS concept (Picture Exchange Communication System) that is frequently utilized for children on the autism spectrum, this chart that I made and illustrated has pictures of activities that occur during the day. Clara often has a difficult time thinking of what she wants to do, so she'll just ask, "Can we do something else?" about a million times a day. It has gotten pretty wearing. Now I can just say, "What's on your schedule?"

She can participate in planning the non-scheduled events. Another big bonus is that it helps her to visually see that yes, she can watch a show, but only after she has tidied her room, done her chores, and done her physical therapy exercises (aka gymnastics moves).

The pictures are laminated and have velcro on them.

I think is my favorite one.

Here are some more of the ones I made. As time goes on I'm sure that we'll have to add more pictures, but for now this is--as Martha Stewart would say--"A good thing."

6 comments:

  1. I love this. You are such a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think any child would benefit from something like that. You are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice sign! I love the PECS! I made one of these PECS schedule things for Benson a while back (when I was still working) but we still haven't used it yet-- maybe when he's a little older. I think they're really helpful for everyone, and to give the child some freedom of what they can do with their time (but it's not TOTAL freedom-- you still decide what the options for the day get to be). Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea. I am wondering if we should do something like this for Clark. I find that neither one of us can think of things for us to do in the house during winter. Your pictures are also really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany you are always coming up with cute things to keep motivated. You are a fabulous mom, thanks for your good example.

    ReplyDelete