Sunday, November 9, 2008

Who needs a sensory clinic . . .

. . . when you can go to Nana and Bapa's house?

Clara sees an OT a few times a month, who has a fabulous sensory clinic. We've missed sessions for a whole month due to her leg as well as other conflicts, but we made do during a recent trip to see grandparents. My mom and dad put up two swings on their screened-in porch for grandkids. (Cool, I know.)

Clara learned about a month ago how to sit on a "big kid" swing. We'd tried several times in the past to have her sit on an open-backed swing, but because of her vestibular sensory issues, she would freak out and get upset. It's amazing--learning about sensory processing disorder, dyspraxia, etc. (things that Clara deals with) makes us appreciate how truly amazing the human body is when it is working properly. Balancing on a swing takes a considerable amount of muscle, brain, and balance, all working in harmony. Anyway, I tried again at the park a few weeks ago, on a whim, and she actually sat on the swing! Since then, she's swung many times and will even let me push her fairly high. We're so proud of her. (Psst--notice anything different in these pics? Clara has two shoes on--hooray!)

This is another skill she's never achieved until this visit (or tried, really) . . . flying like Superman!

Wow--I was impressed that she let me stand her up on the swing. Only for a short period of time, of course, but still.

I set up a chair for her to kick as she swung to work on coordination, control, and balance. It was tricky for her, but she enjoyed it.

We made a pine cone bird feeder to go along with a previous Teach Me Mommy lesson. Clara was more interested in playing in the peanut butter and bird seed (no surprise there), but that's all right. We had some good sensory fun.

7 comments:

  1. This is awesome Brittany!! I should come to you to learn instead of going to school!! Clara is amazingly blessed with such a wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, how neat. I think all of us take for granted most things. Thank you for the reminder! Dylan made that bird feeder too- loved it. In boston we had a city play group. The lady who ran it had a water table filled with bird seed. So it was a lot like a sand box but with seeds. The kids loved it! And it was much easier to clean up, a little broom did the trick. And if you had it outside, you would never have to clean it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - an indoor swing! Every parent's dream. :)
    The Teach Me Mommy book is awesome - for those who have never seen it . . . check it out!
    I found our copy on ebay years ago and was so excited that I arranged for a pickup/drop off instead of shipping (the lady worked down the street from G's fire station, so she offered to drop it off for us).
    We love it!
    Brittany, you are an awesome mom - thank you for such inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's pretty exciting that Clara can swing on a "big kid" swing now!! Anytime you don't feel like going to play on the swings, or if y'all just want company, let me know! As you know, I'm obsessed with swings...

    We should hang out this week! It's been a while...too long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for Clara! She is such a precious child. I enjoyed sitting next to ya'll at church yesterday. :) I'm with you I am just amazed at the human body and how much we really do take for granted until we loose a function. You and Mike are such great parents and take the best care of Clara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brittany,
    I just wanted to let you know that I love reading your blogs and visiting the sites that you share. So thanks for sharing! You are doing a terrific job even though some days it may not feel like that. something that I learned from my MOPS group...there are no SUPER moms just SUPER kids...because of everything we do for and with them. Thanks for everything! I hope we can one day meet Clara. I know Elise would love to play with her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are just the most amazing mom. You are incredible. And way to go Clara!!

    ReplyDelete