Saturday, May 10, 2008

I need your advice!

I have no idea how many of my friends and family actually check the blog, but I need your help. I purchased a 3 x 5' pink Flokati Pottery Barn rug on eBay back in February. It was new when I purchased it, and I got it for (gulp) $70 (plus S/H). From Pottery Barn directly, it is $99.00 plus S/H.

I have realized in retrospect that (1) it was more money than I needed to spend on a rug for Clara's room; and (2) while it is a beautiful, 100 percent wool rug (from Greece, no less), it sort of sheds. Just little tufts of the wool will pop up around Clara's room. It is annoying, especially when I have to sweep instead of vacuuming them up. So, I've decided to re-sell it, first trying on craigslist before I go to eBay.

Okay, so here are my two questions:
  1. How much should I charge for the resale? Should I try to charge what I paid? How low should I go?! I know that it's "up to me," but any input would be fabulous.
  2. Should I specify on the posting that "the rug sheds"? Since it is a flokati rug, I would imagine that is expected. I don't think that it is defective or that the wool is deficient. But, I also don't want to be "tricking" people into buying something after which they discover, as I did, that the rug has flaws.

Well, that was more than two questions. But please let me know what you would do in my shoes. And don't tell me I'm an idiot for buying it in the first place and spending so much money. I've learned my lesson! I can only excuse myself by saying that I purchased it in a "oooh, we're moving to a new house" frenzy. Here are some pics:







4 comments:

  1. I still love the rug and think it looks PERFECT in the room and what's a little shedding? Course this is coming from the woman who owns a dog who sheds 12 months out of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like it too!! is there no trick to make it stop shedding?

    i know positively zero about selling stuff online, but i don't think you need to be so forthcoming about it's flaws that you scare everyone away! you can always tell someone if they ask why're you selling it. and i'd ask what you paid-- no reason to lose money on it when it's already a good deal off the original price! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it depends on how fast you want to sell it. If you don't care about a fast sell then I would price it close to value and see if you get a bite or two. I would mention at the end of the advertisement that the rug does shed but I don't think that people won't buy it because of the shedding. Make sure that the pic are cute ones like these and really talk it up. I never offer the asking price on craigslist so price high enough to bargain down and not feel bad about it. I LOVE this rug though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i regret things i buy ALL the time. we got ryan a really expensive pair of jeans because we have a hard time finding jeans that fit, but to make a long story short, they shrunk in the wash. i am going to try to sell them some how. even if you get less than what you paid it does make you feel better or less guilty or something. i've sold quite a bit of stuff online and most people that look for things on craiglist are people looking for a REAL bargain so i would try to go as low as you can without ripping yourself off. i wouldn't state that it sheds, but do state where it's from and how much you paid and how new it is. i've actually had the most success selling stuff on our local classifieds. it's called ksl.com i know you probably have something similar.

    ReplyDelete