Saturday, June 12, 2021

End of the school year stuff

 The end of May and beginning of June were busy busy.

The peonies in the garden bloomed, which brought me so much joy and satisfaction. So much.

Robbie performed in his second piano recital and did a smashing job.

The kids finished up a six-week long horse camp in Elkton, which they all enjoyed. I don't plan on having our family become equestrians, however, and the drive was a pain, so I felt one session was good enough.

So many rainbows in the Valley--every spring!

Henry "graduated" from preschool at a cute little graduation ceremony we all attended.

My broccoli and cauliflower all produced! Success!

Michael was released as bishop on Memorial Day weekend after five years and eight months of service. We were each asked to bear our testimonies, and I was surprised at how emotional I felt. I have been thankful for the privilege of his/our service. Now he is on the high council and over the ward in Franklin, West Virginia, about an hour away.

Speaking of West Virginia, we traveled to West Virginia on Memorial Day for a trip on the Cass Scenic Railroad on the Durbin "Rocket," an old steam train that went on a ten mile trip going about nine miles an hour. 

We stopped halfway and got to check out the engine where they put the coal in.

The weather was perfect and the scenery beautiful.

This red car was a sleeper car (not currently in use) with fun beds and a little loft area the kids loved climbing in and out of.

The trip was great, but I shouldn't have used the words "fun and memorable" in my morning prayer that morning. It was definitely fun, but it was certainly unexpectedly memorable when on the way home, Clara and I both got car sick and threw up in various containers in the car. I was wiped out that night and the next day, but mercifully Clara felt better immediately. Those WV "country roads" are killer.

Henry turned six and had his first official friends birthday party! He had a great time making Lego cars and racing them with his buddies, eating cake and ice cream and pizza, and blowing giant bubbles in the back yard. We are so proud of this boy and are grateful Heavenly Father sent him to us.

Clara sang with the Spotswood Singers at the high school this semester. They were troopers, even performing through their masks. She did a great job and I was grateful she had the opportunity to participate despite COVID.

Two days later, Clara performed with her ballet class at an outdoor recital the whole family could come see (Henry looks thrilled). She is growing in confidence on stage.

And then school ended, phew! What a year this has been--virtual, hybrid, four days a week . . . the kids have handled it all admirably and I am deeply thankful for all the teachers and administrators who worked through all the craziness with the students. Hopefully next year will be more normal. However, I confess I won't miss the extra germs that we haven't gotten since the kids have been wearing masks . . . :-)

1 comment:

  1. Great catchup of your last month or so. Do the kids remember that their great-great grandfather Frank Wonnacott was an engineer on steam trains? They can read about him in the history book I gave you.

    ReplyDelete