The following day in Boston, we did a few more of the Freedom Trail sites before heading up to Vermont.
But first, we had to walk to the Public Garden to see the Make Way for Ducklings statues. This was a must-see for me--I love good children's books.Someone had knitted them little sweaters.
The bridge over the garden (sadly the swan boats weren't in operation).
We saw the graves of Benjamin Franklin's parents. Everything must be climbed, apparently.
The USS Constitution ship was sadly closed, but we enjoyed it from a distance and even saw a sailor in his uniform, which was fun.
Bunker Hill monument was the last stop, and some in our party were groaning each step of the way to get there. They were pooped from all the walking.
We headed out of town and up to Vermont. We passed over this beautiful (and incredibly high bridge) and stopped to take a picture of the beauty.
My heart about stops when my children are on any kind of high bridge with an edge like this. I spoke sharply to Henry when he was climbing on the railing and hurt his feelings, but I just can't handle it--it seriously makes me ill to think about the what-ifs with little eager climbers.
I am so glad we were able to stop in Sharon, Vermont, before we arrived at our final destination. This obelisk is 38.5 feet tall, a foot for every year of Joseph Smith's life.
Amazing how much one man can do in such a short period of time.
I liked this neat plaque on the hearthstone of the original house where Joseph Smith was born.
I am glad that you mixed history into this trip!
ReplyDelete