Sunday, October 22, 2017

Fall camping trip

Every fall I like to go on a camping trip. I also like to go in the spring, but the fall is the best because the bugs are fewer and the leaves are gorgeous. I love where we live. This year, we opted to go to northern Virginia to camp because we were (well, Michael) going to go to a sealing of a couple in our ward afterwards the following morning.



We packed up and headed out. When we arrived at what the GPS said was our intended campsite, however, we were unimpressed with the run-down trailers, a derelict motel, and a few RVs that were scattered on the property (I am still not sure we were at the right place--the reviews had been good!).

It was a cloudy day but not too cold.

So, we headed to the nearby Sky Meadows State Park which we had also looked into previously. The sites there were primitive (no running water or bathrooms), and we had to hike in a mile.







Instead of going through all of our stuff to only bring what we truly needed, we loaded it all up into the wagon we had brought as well as the large wheelbarrow that we rented on-site. Michael truly earns the award for best attitude and strongest muscles. I was hesitant but went ahead, and the kids made it despite some weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

Pull, Henry, pull!

I kept thinking about the pioneers as I dragged the heavy wagon over tree roots, mud, and bumpy rocks while trying to encourage the kids. Wow.

Our campsite, however, was terrific, and we got all set up before the sun went down, which is always nice. The baby potty we had brought (not only for Henry but for all who needed it) was popular. We had hobo dinners that I had prepped previously--I had cooked the potatoes in advance; next time I'll cook the carrots in advance as well.


The favorite part of the night for the kids was probably the lanterns and flashlights and making s'mores. Michael's and my favorite part was putting the kids down in the tent (despite their unwillingness to go to bed, especially Henry who was totally wired and loving life--we could hear him going over to Clara and Robbie and trying to chat with them in the tent while they were trying to go to sleep) and sitting by the fire, whispering quietly and watching the flames.

The night was fitful, as usual, but we made it safely through.

 In the morning, Clara and I hung out while Michael took the boys and a load out to the car. They hurried back for some quick hot cocoa before we broke camp in record time and headed out.

 Bookin' the mile back to the car. Despite our rush, we unfortunately missed the sealing because the time had been changed. Michael go to do some initiatories, though, and the kids did well as we walked around the visitor's center and around the temple.

All in all, the adventure was a success and good memories were made. One of these times we're going to set up camp for two nights so it feels worth all the work. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment