Poor Henry had a fight with the treadmill and the treadmill won. I was supposed to be watching the boys while Michael was on the treadmill in the basement, but I let them go downstairs. A few minutes later, I hear an agonizing scream and rush down to find Henry in Michael's arms. We initially thought nothing was injured (we examined his chin because that's what Michael thought had gotten hit), but then he saw Henry's hand. We gasped in horror as I saw the two middle fingers of his right hand raw from having gotten caught on the treadmill belt. Quickly, I asked Michael to give Henry a blessing, and then I rushed him over to the urgent care center with Robbie in tow (Michael had a stake interview he had to attend and Clara was asleep in bed). Mercifully, the center was open a little early, and he was seen quickly. Henry was so brave during the exam and subsequent cleaning and bandaging. I was quite worried when the nurse practitioner said, "I don't THINK he'll need a skin graft." Oh, I felt so terrible!! We took him to the pediatrician, Dr. Hutton, the following Monday, and she gave us instructions for wound care. Michael and I proceeded to change his dressings twice a day for a month, faithfully trimming off skin as needed, washing it, medicating it, airing it, etc. (My brother, Clay, an ER physician, also gave us good advice). We became quite a team as we worked together to dress Henry's wounds.

At the urgent care center--this isn't a good pic because frankly I couldn't bear to look at it. (But I wanted to document its healing!)
A few days later, Henry got the bandage stuck on a sticky mouse trap in the pantry. Awesome. Mercifully, the bandage came off without too much pulling.
A few days after the accident.
The following week.
Two weeks.
At Bear Lake with Daddy's injured toe (from a rope swing gone wrong) and Robbie's injured finger (from accidentally slamming his hand in the door).
Week three and a half or so.
It was amazing to see the fingers heal. Although they are all healed now, he still doesn't use those fingers quite as much, at least from my perspective. We are so enormously thankful for the Lord's blessings and for his healthy body. It could have been so much worse and truly feel grateful for his speedy healing and that there were no complications.
Grampa and I can attest to Henry's cheerful bravery and amazing resilience! So glad and grateful to see the miraculous healing hand of the Lord at work...
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that I didn't have to see the before - it is so sad! But what a miracle of healing - he is so lucky to have had your tender attention to make sure that things could heal! Bravo to both of you!
ReplyDelete