Sunday, January 1, 2017

December: celebrating the good

Christmas break, or really this December, was been a mixed bag. I could easily focus on the bad and say, "So glad that month is OVER!" Some choice remembrances might be the two-week cold Henry had with the numerous breathing treatments. Or the time in Sacrament meeting when Henry threw up (and I tried to catch it in my hands but there was too much overflow, and it dripped onto my tights and squelched in my shoe, splashed my cell phone (which wouldn't work temporarily but fortunately rice did the trick), in my church bag, etc.). Or possibly the other fun time when Michael got sick with weird aches and a fever on Christmas Eve and was in bed most of the day on Christmas (one of the few Sundays he didn't have meetings and might have even been able to sit with me in Sacrament meeting). Or that time when Robbie, Clara, and I got sick with the stomach bug--twice--(sure loved cleaning up throw-up and plunging clogged toilets) and Robbie missed being the wise man in his first preschool Christmas play. Or I could talk about Clara's IEP meeting and focus on the challenges that I see with Clara socially, academically, physically, organizationally, and anxiety-wise at school and at home or the deep, soul-pain I felt as I heard Clara try to make conversation unsuccessfully with a friend in the car.

Yes, all those things happened. And more. But there was a lot of good that happened this month, too, and frankly, while it's sometimes easier to be negative, it's also easy to find lots of wonderful good things that happened. Plus the craziness makes for good stories, so that's always a plus.

First of all, my goal was to get all my Christmas shopping done by December 1st. I didn't entirely succeed, but this year my December was a lot less focused on gifting and more on other things. That was a blessing.

One good thing is the wonderful experience we had orchestrating, organizing, and assembling needed household items for a refugee family who arrived here from Congo a few months ago (they had been in a refugee family in Tanzania for nearly twenty years--mom, dad, and five kids). There was a huge outpouring of generosity from members from both wards.


Our basement was full of donations--in fact, there was overflow that we were able to give to the refugee office to help other new families. They were so appreciative of the household items as they begin their new life here (both mom and dad work different shifts at the chicken plants--no car but he rides a donated bike several miles--at night--for his shift; she can walk to hers). I especially enjoyed showing the dad the automatic nightlights, seeing his dawning comprehension when I showed him how to use deodorant ("Ahhh, it's like perfume!"), and seeing the kids' serious interest in the Bandaids and Neosporin and the wonder of the Aquafresh toothpaste dispenser.


Michael delivered all the Christmas presents, and it was a moment really too special to capture in a photo.

Other positive moments were the kindnesses rendered to us by others: one friend cleaning up Henry's throw-up on the pew at church after I'd taken him out; another friend bringing us some chicken noodle soup the following Sunday when I was sick; lots of yummy goodies delivered to us, etc.

I was on a treat-making kick and made lots of goodies to deliver, too. We had a great time on Joseph Smith's birthday eating ham and johnnycake and then caroling with our good friends, the Robertsons, to some people at church and the Spirit was there as we sang together--the kids had great attitudes, which was so nice.

What a blessing that nearly all of our sickness occurred when there was no school or work so we could all recover and help each other. A rewarding moment was the hard work that paid off when the sextet I had been practicing with successfully performed "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" a cappella at the ward Christmas breakfast.


We also enjoyed a safe and meaningful trip to the temple for Michael to witness the sealing of a couple he had married a year ago and also enjoyed the beautiful Christmas lights.



After the sickness around Christmas, we enjoyed little outings, like going to a trampoline park in Charlottesville (Henry couldn't get enough of the sponge pit) and going on a short cold hike in West Virginia.


It was fun to see the kids' expressions at the crazy tricks our hibachi chef did when we went to a Japanese restaurant for dinner after the hike. Clara talked about it for several days afterwards.



Michael went golfing twice over break, and Robbie was a trooper tagging along, too. One ball landed in the water, but it didn't sink--the pond was covered in ice. Pretty funny.


For New Year's, we had our traditional Chinese take-out, and we celebrated with friends, Carina and Dathan Young. Their genius idea was to celebrate on London time, so at 7pm EST we watched the fireworks explode off the London Eye and the kids blew their horns and noisemakers (which I threw away later because they were driving me nuts).


Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. What a month December was for all of you! I wish I could have been there to help! Hope that you all stay well now! And I love the New Year's in London trick. We ate at Sushi Ya in Provo with Heather, Bryan and Clay and their families. Your New Years tradition stuck after last year with us! Happy, very happy, New Year!

    ReplyDelete