Friday, November 14, 2014

Halloween 2014


This year there was quite a bit of drama about what Clara wanted to be for Halloween. For some reason, we began receiving a catalog for children's upscale costumes, which Clara really enjoyed perusing. I should have just thrown them away immediately, but alas, they filled her mind with all sorts of ideas and she was constantly changing her mind. She really likes the Count from Sesame Street for some reason and wanted to be a "vampiress" or a "countess" along those lines, so we bought a used purple dress that she could wear with her bat wings from last year. Perfect. Then she wanted to be a "fab 50s girl," but I'd already spent money on the dress and didn't want to waste more. My mom also tried to help out and bought her a boa to be a movie star instead, still utilizing the purple dress. However, she wouldn't have it. Anyway, after lots of emotional huffs and puffs (and fortunately the boa was returned), she decided on being a bat like she was last year. She looked great.

Robbie is still at the age of oblivion about costumes, and a friend offered to let me use a cute puppy costume for him. Since he enjoys pretending to be a puppy with Clara, I thought that would be great. However, before the ward Halloween party, he wore it for five minutes and then proceeded to unzip it, informing me, "I no like it." I knew there was no way I was going to force him to wear it.

On the night of Halloween, however, I debated. Should I let him go trick-or-treating without a costume? How lame would that be? But should I force him to wear it? Should he just stay home? I felt the irony of "making" my kid go walk door to door to get free candy. Fortunately, Michael persuaded him to put it on, and he was fine with it once he was outside. He was pretty much the cutest puppy ever.

 Robbie smiling.

 Clara smiling. (It was a chilly night, but fortunately her black jacket matched her outfit.)

 Look at that cute tail. I also like this pic because it catches a very common face from Michael--jaw clenched, lips pursed, and in love with his boy.

We didn't get our pumpkin carved until Halloween morning. Michael gallantly did the entire thing, which was fortunate because the smell was too much for me right now.

 I can't remember why Robbie was upset, but this face is classic.

 Happier now! I don't even have a finished product photo. Bummer. But Happy Halloween! Actually, I'm glad it's done so we can look forward to Christmas. (I like Thanksgiving for the gratitude part but not so much the food part.) Yippee!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, his pouty face is so cute!!! Glad the costumes finally worked out! I didn't know you had walnut trees. Those can be a pain! We had some in none other than: Walnut Grove, Minnesota! My mom would pay us $0.01 very every walnut picked up and put in a bucket. My little brother earned some nice change, ha ha. It's so fun you have great big trees...as you well know though, they are lots of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see the final costumes! And they are sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing pics of your family. I know what you mean about the leaf pickup! Our neighbor has a giant maple tree that dumps most of its leaves on our side of the fence:) The kids helped once. After that, it was all up to mom and dad! It is a good reason to get outside, though.

    ReplyDelete