Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Life these days

It has been really hard for me to blog without my camera! The phone is just a pain to hook up to my computer. Oh well. Here are a few from the past few weeks:

 One of the many things I love about the Shenandoah Valley is the wildlife. We live in the suburbs, but a few minutes outside of town and it's not unusual to see deer (or dead skunks or raccoons, but I prefer to dwell on the positive). This was taken on our way to Clara's piano lesson a few weeks ago.

 We enjoyed a jaunt down to Staunton (pronounced Stan-ton) one Saturday and played at Gypsy Hill Park, an older park that reminded me of Augusta, GA where we used to live.

 One of the highlights was a ride on the small train they have there. Robbie and Clara even got to honk the horn, which thrilled them both.

 Clara wanted me to curl her hair, so I tried out rag curlers for the first time. She looked so cute! It has been really special lately that she's let me play with her hair more. When she was little I would do whatever I wanted with it and put in bows, etc. Then for a couple of years it was basically ponytail only. This summer she has let me braid it more. She's been growing it out and is learning to take care of it (brush it, wash it with help from me, etc.). Lots of hair is a blessing but also a challenge!

 I finally got our dear dear Betsy Ross Lester spinet piano tuned. It is my parents' piano, from my grandmother, and they've lent it to me for the past 10+ years. This piano tuner was impressed with how good of shape it was in (good job, Mom!). I have been so grateful for it and it holds a special place in my heart. We'll probably be replacing it soon and then they can have it back.

 I had never seen a piano being tuned and thought it was absolutely fascinating.

One day I took the kids to Wildwood park and they fished for algae with long sticks. Even though they quarrel quite a bit, Clara and Robbie really do enjoy each other's company, for which I am very grateful.

I have more summer pics to show but will have to do so when my phone and computer will cooperate.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update, even though you're lacking your best tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a picture of Clara's hair after taking out the curlers! Did it work? We also love Gypsy Hill Park. We lived two blocks away from it when we lived in Staunton, so we went there several times each week. That's great that you got your piano tuned. And let us know sometime when you want to go to Wildwood, we'll go together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this post somehow. What nice park memories for the kids! And I love that Clara is letting you do her hair. Can't wait to hear the piano now...

    ReplyDelete