Somehow in the midst of my blogging about our NYC trip, I failed to mention a highlight of the trip: Pizza School. I now revisit the memory for journaling purposes.
While my siblings discussed activities, restaurants, and other venues we wanted to see in New York, one of my brothers mentioned pizza school, a 4+-hour class you could attend here for $150 fee. During the course you'd learn how to make true Italian pizza and eat it, too.
Since we already have a favorite pizza recipe, grace a my sister-in-law, Emily, I didn't feel the need to go. However, upon arriving at our hotel, Michael and I decided at the last minute that he should attend with those of my siblings who were interested.
I'm glad he did, since I got to live vicariously through him and justify the purchase of a pizza stone back home.
It was also fitting that he go since he has been in charge of our traditional Valentine's Day pizza for the past ten years. Here he is, back in 2009.
They each got to make four pizzas and learned how ingredient quality is more important than quantity, that weighing your ingredients is the only way to go, and how to correctly make the dough itself. (And you don't have to throw it in the air.) He also learned that you turn your oven up as hot as it can go and that you must use a pizza stone if you want a good crispy crust.
One of Michael's choices was the "stinky cheese and truffle honey" dessert pizza. Apparently it was really good. (He brought some back to the hotel, but I was asleep when he returned and we didn't have any way to refrigerate it, so we tossed the rest.)
It really was a highlight of the trip. So if you go to NYC and want to shell out some dough, you can learn how to make it right, too.
One of you guys are going to have to give us a pizza lesson. I love pizza and could probably eat it at every meal - especially with everything on it! Glad to learn the details, and that you finally bought a pizza stone!
ReplyDeleteY' know, I'd like to do that too, some day. What a great idea!
ReplyDelete