I have noticed that pregnancy makes people very uninhibited in their comments. Things that they would never say to a non-pregnant person are bound to pop out of their mouths at any moment. When would you ever make a comment to someone about their body shape or size? What most surprises me is when women who have had their own babies make thoughtless comments. I'm thinking, "Don't you remember what it was like?" Apparently not.
But it's been good for me to realize how vain I am and a good time to hone my sense of humor.
What not to say to a pregnant woman:
"Are you sure you're not having twins?" (I got a twins comment probably five times early on because I got big pretty early.)
"You look ready to pop!" (Gee, thank you so much.)
"You look so uncomfortable." (Wow, that is so nice of you to say that.)
"I hope you aren't offended, but you look like you've changed shape." (Um, okay. . .)
"Oh my goodness! Are you going to go into labor?!" (when on a short hike about six weeks ago)
What to say to a pregnant woman:
"You look beautiful."
"You look so good."
"I love that maternity dress."
"If I were pregnant, I would like to look like you."
"You look beautiful."
"You look beautiful."
"You look beautiful."
Michael is very good at saying nice things, fortunately. He can counter-balance all the silly things others have said. And you can imagine how much I am looking forward to going to church tomorrow to hear all the things people are going to say since I've passed my due date.
Here I am yesterday--the day before my due date. The bassinet I am standing by is the one that Michael's dad, Michael, and our future baby boy will be sleeping in. Well, actually he will only be sleeping in it for a picture for posterity's sake because it takes up too much space and will have to be moved.
Best of luck these next few days! I can't wait to see pictures of baby boy Weiler. And by the way, you look beautiful! You look sooo good. I really do like that maternity outfit. Next time I'm pregnant I hope I look as good as you do. Oh, and you look beautiful! ;)
ReplyDeleteYou really do look wonderful! I thought similar thoughts sooo many times during my pregnancy. Many of the comments I received were just thoughtless. (One woman I worked with thought it was okay to call me Whopper. When I let her know it wasn't, she instead tried out Big Momma.) Thankfully, it taught me how much I appreciated receiving positive comments during pregnancy and postpartum, too! And, I plan to share that with other women as much as I can. We will definitely be excited over here to see pictures of your baby boy, though, so let's hope you aren't pregnant too much longer!
ReplyDeleteThe other nice thing to say to a pregnant woman is: "you don't look pregnant at all from behind!"
ReplyDeleteMy neighbor came over 3 days after Cole was born, and I came to the door holding tiny little Cole in my arms. The neighbor guy (who was drunk) said, "are you pregnant again? Why is your stomach still so big?" I almost punched him.
Good luck these last few days! We're waiting with bated (abated?) breath!
You do look gorgeous! I've gone a week over with both my pregnancies so far, and the last 3 weeks are more uncomfortable because of the comments than the actual pregnancy. My favorite is the , "What are you still doing here?" comment. What, am I not allowed out in public past 37 weeks? Ugh. I think we all hate it.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who recently told me that pregnancy is 8 months and 1 year. So true! but why do people say such dumb things - I also hated it when they would pat my stomach.
ReplyDeleteBut you do look wonderful - in spite of that little Weiler, you look really thin! And you need to respond to folks by saying, "Now you didn't really mean to say that rude thing you just said, right?"...
I think you look wonderful! Both of mine were a week late and I remember all those comments. We'll pray for a quick & speedy delivery.
ReplyDeleteAmen! You nailed it. Honestly for some crazy reason it even bothers me when people tell me, "you look tiny" because I definitely don't feel it! But don't tell me I'm huge either. My favorite is, "you look beautiful."
ReplyDeleteAnd you DO look beautiful! Hang in there until your little fellow arrives. The happy thing about pregnancy is that it does, in fact, end at some point.
Sending happy thoughts to you!!
You look gawgeous! I love the baby bump.
ReplyDelete