Saturday, April 9, 2011

The pros and cons of Harrisonburg, VA

We are enjoying Harrisonburg for lots of reasons. Of course, there are some downsides, too.




PRO: Local fresh organic eggs, laid the day or two before we bought them..
CON: They're more expensive, and don't tell anyone, but I couldn't taste a difference.

Will I do it again? Probably. But will I still buy eggs from the store? Yes.


 PRO: You can buy grassfed beef here (which we haven't done yet--still thinking about the price).
CON: You can buy veal here. (The "doghouses" above are actually for calves before they're slaughtered...not that we told Clara that.)


 PRO: There's a large Mennonite population on the west side of town, and they have lots of horses and buggies (the sign is a bit blurry).
CON: Um, these folks are just too wholesome and friendly?


PRO: Fabulous sweet potatoes grown by some sweet Mennonite friends--guess which ones are the store bought?
CON: Um, bigger ones take longer to roast?


PRO: Good signage to protect wildlife.
CON: I don't believe in slowing down for animals. They need to get out my way.


PRO: There are lots of place to hike around here, like Mole Hill above.
CON: When we got to the top, the view was too obscured by trees. Darn that nature!


PRO: The fields are so green.
CON: Uh, it makes you want to be a farmer and live off the land, which sounds nice but is way too dependent on things outside of my control, namely, the weather. 


 PRO: Even the brush is intelligent and forms itself into giant alphabet letters.
CON: Clara's teachers must be brainwashing her to notice the ABCs everywhere.


 PRO: Amazing scenery.
CON: The smells are not always of roses.
PRO: Fun bluegrass music at the farmer's market this morning.
CON: They kept playing the same song.

Okay, so these "cons" aren't really very good downsides, but there has to be opposition in all things, right?

4 comments:

  1. There are pros and cons of reading your blog too...For starters:

    Pro: I am highly entertained and get to keep up with your sweet family.

    Con: I become insanely jealous and want to move to Harrisonburg. Like now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. You make me want to move to Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cons definitely weren't convincing enough--when can we come visit :)?? I love that Clara sees ABCs everywhere. Adam does the same thing, and it always impresses me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you really get around town! I've lived here four and a half years and I've never been to the downtown farmer's market. Food Lion is just so close!

    ReplyDelete