Thursday, February 10, 2011

Live and learn

After the previous post pics, Clara biffed it on her scooter and wailed through her tears, "I'm not a superhero anymore!"


"Even superheroes fall sometimes," I informed her . . .

. . . and then their mothers go and buy them safety pads. (Strange how you never see that part in the movies.)


In other news, guess what I have been spending hours working on?


No, not the poster . . . just my new calling as Cub Scout den leader. (I just put it in black and white so as not to bring attention to my stylin' outfit, complete with skinny metallic pink belt.)


Evidence that I don't know what I'm doing as I try to start up this den from scratch with a Cubmaster who has had no training either:

Yesterday I went to the Boy Scout store to get some supplies for the boys and myself. Since the store is a good distance away (half an hour), I thought I'd save a trip and get all the Bobcat, Wolf, and Bear badges at one time. You know, thinking positively that all the boys would advance.

"Do you have the advancement report?" the employee asked me.

"The what?" I responded blankly.

"You can't buy the badges until you have the report."

"Oh, okay  . . . " I nonchalantly replied as I hurriedly put them back and got my hind parts out of there before I tainted the place with too much Scouting ignorance. 


Apparently "living and learning" must be done at any age. And an appropriate wardrobe--whether it be a cape or a neckerchief--is crucial to success.

4 comments:

  1. i am learning a lot about BSA too. It is a foreign world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, they actually gave you the uniform! It's darling! Have you watched Troop Beverly Hills yet? That will help you figure out what type of leader you'd like to be.

    My mom and her friend (a woman getting a masters in oboe performance) were both put in scouts, and they didn't know what to do at first. So, they tried to teach the boys to sing (and to sing harmony). They had this great idea of having the little scouts do a musical number for church some Sunday. And that would be very cute, but after 3 weeks of trying, they admitted defeat! Even for the two music gurus, those boys were too tough! So they got with the program and started teaching about clouds and knots and fires, and the boys loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh out loud! I'm sad we don't get to see the pink belt. Shoot! I must say that den leader is a calling I fear because of my scouting ignorance as well. Jeremy, on the other hand, aspires to being a scout master someday! To each his own, right? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, you are so funny. You will be such a great den leader--I have no doubts!!

    ReplyDelete