Sunday, October 31, 2010

The dark side

I don't like scary things. At all. Several years ago Michael sneaked up on me outside our town home (which wasn't in the safest neighborhood) and I believe I recall using some colorful language, informing him that if he ever did that again I'd beat the crap out of him.

I don't like scary movies. Or scary Halloween decorations. I remember praying--for years--every night that I wouldn't have bad dreams. The movie Ernest Scared Stupid scared me.


So did Hocus Pocus.


Clara appears to be a mix of both her parents. She has a sort of bizarre fascination with scary things (like wanting to see the scary Halloween decorations in Target) but gets scared very easily.


So when it came time to carve our pumpkin, I asked her what kind of face our pumpkin should have--happy, surprised, or scary. To my dismay, she told me she wanted scary. "Are you sure?" I asked her several times. "Yes," she confidently replied.


Michael loves Halloween and especially enjoys making scary faces and "bwah ha ha" sounds to Clara. This is a side shot of one of Michael's freaky faces. Apparently Clara is just amused.

I'm afraid she has gone over to the dark side of Halloween.



Fortunately, she wanted to be a queen for Halloween (same costume as last year--excellent). As long as that keeps up and no zombie costumes are requested in the near future, I can handle the scary jack-o-lanterns.

I think.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you completely. Scary and I don't get along. Love the picture of Clara smiling at Michael's scary face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm more of the speed that you dress up like a zoo animal or movie star for Halloween. No grim reapers, no Scream masks, no vampires, no blood/guts/gore costumes.

    Clara sure is DARLING! You guys have such a great family.

    ReplyDelete