Sunday, March 14, 2010

Big weekend

This past weekend Michael and I enjoyed a night away in Atlanta while Grandma watched Clara. We attended an orthodontic conference at a fancy hotel and ate lots of delicious food.

We also signed the contract for our future.

Yep, we really are moving to Virginia in December and buying a practice. It's a done deal.

Wow.

Signing contracts. Amazingly enough, even though this single act has changed the course of the rest of our lives, I feel peace and excitement. I have no nagging uncertainties, although there is certainly some fear and nervousness. We have felt the hand of the Lord in our lives.

If either doctor backs out, they have to pay a lot of money to the other. A LOT of money.

As the attorney put it, "It puts a little blood in the water."

Later that night, we went out to eat with Dr. Alvis and a few of his staff. Michael ordered a caesar salad on the side, and he was surprised to learn that anchovies are part of the recipe (when you order it at a nice restaurant, that is). So Michael split the slimy little fish in half and we each ate it on top of a crostini. Although the taste was not revolting, it wasn't too grand either.

This experience made the second "first" we had that day.

Sitting with most of Michael's future staff. Yikes!

They are kind, welcoming, and supportive. Dr. Alvis is a man of integrity, has a good practice, and has been very helpful and considerate. We get along very well, and we couldn't feel more pleased and thankful. We all know there will be some definite adjustments, some bumps in the road--perhaps significant ones--but we feel peace that the direction we're pursuing is right.

And that makes the future pretty exciting.

17 comments:

  1. So, So exciting!!! His future staff? That's pretty awesome! And probably a little daunting :) but how wonderful to know you're going into such a good situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting for both of you! Congratulations on making this big step!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOORAY!!! Can't wait to be your "neighbor."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you both! I know Michael will do well, be successful, and be an excellent orthodontist!!!! I'm glad you have this blog so we can follow your family and I hope you keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am jealous, your future seems so solid and consistant. I want that so bad. It sounds like you found something really wonderful. So where in VA? Will you be close to us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's so exciting! The first day of the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those deletes are from me. I need to be more patient when I hit the "publish" button! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so exciting! You guys will do great! Where in VA will you be moving? It's a great, great place to live. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. AHH!! SO EXCITING! Wow. That is fantastic. I am (slightly) jealous that you'll be in Virginia... it's my dream state. Fingers crossed (a big finger crossing) we'll make our way out east in a year or so ourselves and be neighbors! I really am SO excited for this next adventure for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay!!! that is such an exciting update. i am so happy for you guys. congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, those pictures make it even more real! (Just with Michael and Dr. Alvis signing the papers and shaking hands.) This is the real deal! Congratulations! Let me know how life in the fast lane feels!

    It was fun talking with you the other day (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH! WOW! That is exciting news. I am sure your families will miss you terribly (as you will them). BUT, how fun to start so fresh and on such a solid note.
    Virginia is a beautiful place - we'll look forward to many lovely photos. :)
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm excited for you guys to make it to this point in your career. So far I've been happy with my practice.

    Cory

    ReplyDelete