Monday, August 10, 2009

Abingdon, Virginia

Two days after we returned from Atlanta, we drove five hours up to southwest Virginia to meet with an orthodontist there.

This is the view from his house. Not too shabby.

Later that day we went to the Virginia Highlands festival hot air balloon launch. Clara LOVES hot air balloons (as in, asking us when we're on errands in the car if we can see any hot air balloons--daily, it seems). They were giving out Energizer bunny ears, and Clara loved hers and didn't want to take them off.

There were eleven balloons. Here they are getting ready. Can I just tell you how nice the weather was?! I only got bitten by one mosquito during the couple of hours we were outside. And I don't think I got sweaty once.

Here are a few balloons almost ready for lift-off. It was fun to watch the people work to get them going: first they rolled the balloons out on the grass, then they used huge fans to blow them up most of the way, and then they used the flame (propane?) to lift the balloon up into the air. So fascinating.

One flew right over our heads.

Clara and I flew in a tethered hot air balloon. For years I have had a lifelong goal of going in a hot air balloon. Even though this was tethered, I think I've satisfied that desire with this experience. Clara was excited, but I was nervous for her because I was afraid of what was coming.

Lifting off!

Three ropes were connected to three different automobiles so we didn't fly away. Clara wasn't too thrilled during the experience and started crying loudly. I wasn't surprised--quite frankly I was impressed that she wanted to get on in the first place. For one thing, it's kind of scary up there (only about 30-40 feet off the ground, but it felt much higher!). For another, there was a super hot flame being blown right above our heads that felt like it was going to burn our hair off. And last of all, the flame was SUPER loud, right in our ears. But I was proud of her for being so brave!

The reason for the Energizer bunny ears Clara was wearing earlier. Can you imagine being the seamstress for this hot air balloon? ("You want me to sew what?!")

Check out this sweet miniature hot air balloon.

A fabulous dixie jazz band played some great music, and a good time was had by all.

4 comments:

  1. looks like you have been going to some many fun places

    ReplyDelete
  2. Props to Clara for being so brave! My high school prom date took me on a hot air baloon ride and I'll admit I was nervous the entire time. The flame is incredibly loud!

    I love the shot from directly under the balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip! That first picture is absolutely beautiful. Yeah, I think I could live with that view every day of my life... And I'm so excited you got to ride in a hot air balloon. That's so cool! I've always wanted to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did the meeting go with the orthodontist? That would be fabulous if you moved to VA! John's older brother graduates from his orthodontist residency in December, and it looks like they're settling in Austin. It sounded like it was a rough year to look for a practice to join though, since a lot of orthodontists decided NOT to retire this year because of the recession. Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete